One Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from marcruby

marcruby

I'm not really showing off, this was an experiment - actually too many experiments. It's my first click, and my first try at segmenting with metal inlay. And my first effort with a carbide 'scraper'. And my first use of the PR Princess's alternate ivory. All I can say is that the photograph hides most of the flaws.

The click is a larger pen than I expected -- I was looking for a more feminine effect. The bulge in the curve could be a little closer to the point. The metal (too hard to be aluminum, probably tin) fought back through three skews and that carbide scraper but I wound up using the scraper as a shear scraper which worked, but I'm going to have to round out the lower edges so that the tool rides the rest better.

I'm not all that fond of the was the click clicks. Breaking it in a bit helped, but I'd really wanted a solid, machined feel and it's not quite there.

And I'm not going to tell you about the things you can't see...

Marc

Attachments

• Click.jpg
    Click.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

You seem to have hidden the flaws rather well , beautiful looking pen . It must have been fun keeping the metal and the alt ivory even , I just did a pen with the stuff and it cut like butter .

akbar24601

Looks like you did a great job to me Marc. Great color selections for the segmenting. Make sure to use aluminum next time, you will have far less troubles.

talbot

Thats a great looking pen Marc. Love the segmeting and the metal inlay and the mix of materials works really well.
A nice one!
regards, Bill

J

jackrichington

That's not showing off..that's showing a real nice pen..thanks for the idea, I plan to abscond with the idea

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think you won that fight with a KO! Polished that up just beautifully. I have more trouble with slightly softer aluminum than I do harder brass.

Super job for trying new techniques. Shows the experience behind the tools!

Last edited:

fernhills

I like the way you did it, looks real nice. the clicks all make some noise, some more then others. I read some place that when you drill a blank with metal inlays you should not use a brad point bit. Just wondering what you drilled with.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
Wow... That's a few more new variables than I'd tackle at one time. But that's just me bein' a newbie too I guess.

That being said, the pen looks very nice in the photo and you can't see any of the flaws you say you notice when holding the pen.

marcruby

"but sure hard to hide the tube"

I had more trouble than usual because the length of the hole made it hard to get complete coverage with with the black paint I use for blue lucite.

"Make sure to use aluminum next time"

This is a prototype for a version that will use silver as the inlay. Fine silver is pretty soft. I'll beat up a coke can or two as well.

"Just wondering what you drilled with."

I got the bit from laulauwoods when I bought the kits. It's not a brad point. And it cuts beautifully.

Marc

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very Nice:biggrin: I love the colour combo you chose too. I like the style of these big clickers, just wish they weren't so noisy.

bitshird

Mark, the pen looks great, I'm glad the woodchuck worked somewhat, actually what you did with it was what I made the tool for, since you are about the second or third person to actually use one except me, and I didn't do any thing near that nice,and am pretty much a hack turner. I think, once you get past the learning curve, you ought to do some killer pens, that's a heck of a variety of material hardness's and for the first go with it That's a beautiful pen

Top Bottom