This one almost killed me :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

This is the one material that I have had the hardest time dealing with. I have ordered Charoite tru-stone at least 3-4 times. Every time I drill I blow out one half of the blank. Well I had an extra El Grande and found two halfs of left over Charoite. This time I drilled short and cut the blank further to size instead of drilling through. Worked great.

This peice of tru-stone sensed it was almost foiled so it put up quite a fight to get turned. I was at the grinder every 5-10 minutes sharpening my skew. It was the hardest tru-stone I have done yet (yes I have done the black with gold). I could not believe hot hot this material got and how hard it was to cut. I can't wait until my woodchuck comes in the mail.

After turning I sanded, micro meshed, novus 2, and buffed.

I am pleased with the end result but getting there was quite the chore. Thanks for listening. :)

Attachments

• pen57a.jpg
    pen57a.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

That pen was obviously worth the extra work. She is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations on sticking with it. Present, for sale or your own keeper? Which ever, that is one fine pen.
Charles

wiset1

Well it looks like it was well worth the effort...perhaps now you can be friends and stop all the fighting :biggrin:

brownsfn2

Thanks for the comments. I have declared a truce with the tru-stone material for now. I am sure I will win the battle once the carbide tools come in. :)

drgoretex

Very, very nice. Awesome work in showing it who's boss - you came up with a beautiful pen for your efforts, so it paid off. But, I know what you mean. When I get orders for trustone pens, I groan. Then I try to convince them they don't really want that :)

Ken

Top Bottom