Olympia Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike in Nanaimo

Here are some Olympia pens I just finished. This is the most unforgiving pens I have ever made. Nice pen when done.
Olympia%20Cocobolo%20Macassar%20354-3.JPG

Olympia%20Rosewood%20Burgandy%20356-3.JPG

Olympia%20Charcoal%20Silvertone%20355-2.JPG

Olympia%20Charcoal%20Silvertone%20355-.JPG

Olympia%20Carribean%20350-4.JPG

http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay Grapics/Olympia Charcoal Silvertone 355-2.JPGhttp://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay Grapics/Olympia Rosewood Burgandy 356-3.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

they are all beautiful. Second one from the top would get my top choice but, you did them all great. You are right about that kit. I like to looks of them but I don't like to work with that kit.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pens, Mike. Can you share with me why you feel the pen is unforgiving? I've shortened the upper barrel, shortened the lower barrel, shortened both barrels, made the lower barrel skinny like a Euro style, and fattened up the lower barrel with a tenon to fit into the upper barrel. I've just never had a problem with it's tolerances.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Lou,

I'm not Mike but here is my take.

First you have to turn a off part of the upper barrel so you can press the center band onto the tube (It is an exterior press rather than interior press) and if you get that too long you end up with a the tube sticking into the center of the CB, or if get it too short then it doesn't look right on the inside. Once you have that right you have to turn the bottom down to specific diameter for a specific length so that it can fit up inside the center band. Too long and you have a gap, to short and the lower barrel rubs on the inside of the CB. Then, when you assemble, you actually have to press a 7mm adapter into the 8mm tube so you can use a standard 7mm transmission. And if you forget that before you get the CB on you need to find a way to press it into place INSIDE the CB (I used a small socket). Oh, and the CB is actually 3 pieces and if you don't hold them all together while pressing it on that last little ring will slip off at an angle and ruin the upper barrel. Did I mention that once on, there is no disassembly of the CB without using pliers on the CB? And the clip is spring loaded so to press the top on you have to expand the clip and then hold it expanded with a tooth pick while you press it in or it will be damaged and/or damage your upper barrel.

Really, that all makes it sound worse than it is. After you've done a few you get the hang of it.

And the instructions are really quite good.

GK

Lou; GK has said most here for me. I like the kit, but I found caution had to be used putting the clip on and I found you have to be careful when pressing the CB on. Next batch I may take just a bit of the brass off with the tenon and a bit of CA glue to secure it. Th kits I had seemed to be a very tight fit on the CB to the brass. It is definitely a nice kit when done. I like the spring loaded clip.

randyrls

Originally posted by Mike in Nanaimo

Here are some Olympia pens I just finished. This is the most unforgiving pens I have ever made. Nice pen when done.

Thanks for sharing the info Mike; I have a few Olympic pens in my box but haven't started on them yet.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Randy, just be careful and thorough and you won't have any problems. #1 tip, measure the opening in the CB for the lower barrel and make sure your lower barrel is no bigger than that until you get passed the end of the CB. Tapered barrels look really good on this pen (see Mike's pens above) but you just need to make sure the taper is small enough that it doesn't rub inside the CB.

Mike, I forgot to say, that is a great looking batch of pens. I really do like the rounded shaped pens better. But the wood on your straight ones is beautiful and you did it proud.

GK

redfishsc

I'm diggin the black and white acrylic. I just made an Olympia out of a very similar blank, but bright green w/black- "Green Dragon" from Beartooth, a killer blank.

Once you make a couple of these pens, they aren't really all that hard, but they are more work. I also charge to reflect that.

I typically shorten the upper tube by 1/4" or so. I just don't think the reaaaaallly long upper tube looks right, makes it look dumpy-- the distance between the end of the clip and the cb is too much.

Top Bottom