Olivewood Zen,the jurys still out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Just can't make up my mind on these. This one made from some Olivewood that Dario sent me to fill small cracks with colored PR. All comments welcome as always,good,bad and ?????

20083232843_1.jpg

2008323836_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Roy, I still don't know if I like the style of pen. Having said that it's a fine pen. I would be thrilled to get it. The only bad thing is that I could take your fingerprints from the cap;).....but then you were not taking this pic for a web site.

I think the kit is so unusual it's putting people off knowing if they have made a good pen. That's a nice bit of olive with the red highlights.

rlharding

The second pic is much better. Or rather the top pic which is the second you posted. This angle makes it look like a great pen, which I am sure it is.

sparhawk

I really want to like this pen but the transition from the blank to the nib is just too much. Your fit and finish as well as blank to kit is great though.Wish they could taper that nib part down so it doesn't make such a drastic dropoff at the nib. Just my 2 cents worth.

constamj

I like the choice of blank for this kit. I think that it really shows the wood well. One nice thing about the single tube pen kits is that they show a much longer single blank. It isn't broken up by additional hardware. I think that is one reason closed end pens do so well. More material to show with less BLING. This kit is growing on me.

GoodTurns

Your work looks great, Roy. The red really sets off the olivewood as well. Before I read the details I was thinking "Where did he find olivewood with RED STAINS IN IT??? I want some!"

If I'm on the jury, the Stretch/Zen is going to be convicted and sent away! I have made several and just can't seem to like it. I'm going to take a couple apart and try the "midi" idea Anthony posted.

Dario

I might have to try that kit. Have some ideas to turn the much criticized "drop area" into a "feature" :D

The crotch piece looks good...I can see the feathering well. I am not too sure about the color of the fill though.

Overall, I like the pen and looking forward receiving my package. [^]:D

donwae

You did a great job on this pen. It looks really nice when it is closed but when it is open I agree with most everyone else the transition at the nib is too much.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Count me in with those who are on the fence about this kit.

Sorry, Roy, I just can't see the color fill on BOW. To me, the wood has all the character it needs, and the PR detracts from it.

OKLAHOMAN

Thank one and all for your comments,seems its a hung jury at this point and the biggest problem is the transition at the nib.I got to thinking about this and the reason for it must be for the magnet to have a flat surface to adhear to.LOML suggest that its a modern looking pen with stright lines and maybe should be made with solid acrylics for a strightforward business look. Also being slighty larger at that transition could be comfy for those with arthritis(trying to turn a negitive into a positive).
Dario and Cav I tend to agree as to the color of the fill,I also did some in black fill.

Rifleman1776

As I said elsewhere, and was backed by others, that style is the champion for super uglies.
Gotta comment. Your finish is the most outstanding I have ever seen on Olive wood. Covered with PR. I'm wondering if oils in the wood might cause clouding eventually.

Top Bottom