Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi All,

I don't often make wood pens anymore as I really still struggle to get a good finish. This is satin longwood kit with slimline tubes.
The ends near the nib and clip cap were done on the lathe and the rest of the shape was done with a router. The centre bands are aluminium plates CA'd to the wood. I tried to recess the stock clip along one ridge. I'm reasonably happy with the whole thing but the finish is rubbish.:(

PS. I know there is no comparison but No prizes for guessing who's work inspired this one;)

2007116215524_TriOlive1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's pretty sweet! I think Omas makes (or made) a wooden rollerball that's similarly styled. Not sure what the price is on that one!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Omas introduced the triangle-shape in their pens in 1996 in its "360" line. As far as WOOD versions, they have made them in ebony and snakewood. Retail for the fountain pen version runs right at $900. scubaman has made a few of derivatives of this style. The triangle-shape for a fountain pen was first introduced in the 1930's by the Triad Pen Co.

JDPens

That's awesome!

Mr. Lou, I enjoy reading your various pieces of data and random facts relating to the subject being discussed. You should write an encyclopedia of penturning. [;)]

btboone

Nicely done. I bet it feels good in the hand. The aluminum center bands look to work well.

I wonder how Omas's snakewood and ebony ones are holding up. Do they know something about snakewood that we're missing? Hmm.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Posted - Dec 26 2005 : 6:33:48 PM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of months ago I spoke with Greg Hengesbaugh, Sales Director East for Omas. According to Greg, the snakewood pens plague many retailers. He has handled many returns and has a large number of dealers who will not carry any of the snakewood pens. Based on my conversation, I'd say they haven't solved the problem anymore than we have.

Ron Mc

I like the way it looks. Very well done.[:D]
Can you provide additional pictures of it? Like from the other side and the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom