Olive Root Vertex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenacres2

greenacres2

It's been a while since I posted a new pen. Finished this one today--chrome Vertex wrapped in stabilized olive root with resin filler. Was simply going to buff it out, but there were 2 very small voids in the center--so filled and added a Mercury CA finish.

Special thanks to George Valentine (robutacion) for making the slab from which I cut the blank. And, to Michael (mecompco) and Robert Kulp (robertkulp) for coaching me through the transition to Mercury Thin Flex. Really accelerated the learning curve!!

earl

Attachments

• Vertex Olive Root 1.JPG
    Vertex Olive Root 1.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Vertex Olive Root 2.JPG
    Vertex Olive Root 2.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Vertex Olive Root 3.JPG
    Vertex Olive Root 3.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I dig it. I've almost been convinced of Mercury... Still use a different finishing schedule than most but I've used it on top of my usual one and I have to admit, it lays down awfully smooth. Be glad for the voids, I think having the finish on it is the way to go for sure!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful final product. If you have any pickies of the slab I would love to see it. Just to poke George!

OZturner

Excellent Pen Earl,
Love what you Accomplished, with Georges Olive Root Blank, the Voids now look Spectacular.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

robutacion

G'day folks,

I can help Earl with James request, maybe easier that way. The pen was cut from one of the 2 identical slabs (22 A&B) in that same colour as he purchased also 1 other pair with a dark blue resin.

I have been waiting to see a pen made with these small slabs that I selected very carefully for this purpose, even though, using 100 PSI pressure on my pressure pots, there are small cracks that may develop inside of the wood with no entry or exit so resin cannot penetrate, however, not always happen.

The other thing that I need to stress and one of the reasons why I suggest using a CA finish on these blanks is that;

#1- The Olive root WAS NOT stabilised as I stated on the listings. The wood was quite soft and it absorbs a lot of resin making stabilising not necessary.

#2- Possible tinny cracks and joints between wood and resin can only be strengthened by using thing CA as a finish or at least the first 1 or 2 coats, a preventive step that can pay big dividends.

As for the pen created with one of my small slabs, I'm most pleased with the results and appearance, the kit suits it well and the fit/finish is very good congrats.
Thank you also for mentioning the slab's origin...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Earl's blanks.JPG
    Earl's blanks.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom