Older Pen, New Photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This is a Platinum 7mm Euro using Stabilized Spalted Sweet Gum. I posed the pen with an unstabilized blank to show how the stabilization process enhanced the wood. (Thanks to Steve and Carol White of River Ridge for the stabilization)

0521330_Stabilized%20Sweet%20Gum%20Platinum%20Euro.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Very nice!!!!
I'm in the process of stabilizing some redwood burl as we speak. Hopefully this blank won't disintegrate on the lathe [:(!]

Ryan

opfoto

I like it. Great looking pen. Excellent idea, as a newcomer with this terrible addiction,[:D] I didn't know the difference between the 2.[:(] With this in mind can someone tell me the typical method of stabilization? Or can some point me to a previous thread if it was discussed before? Thanks a bunch.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by opfoto
<br />I like it. Great looking pen. Excellent idea, as a newcomer with this terrible addiction,[:D] I didn't know the difference between the 2.[:(] With this in mind can someone tell me the typical method of stabilization? Or can some point me to a previous thread if it was discussed before? Thanks a bunch.

Mark,
Stabilization is the process of using heat, pressure or voodoo to inject acrylic into the fiber of the wood. It makes the wood harder, and easier to finish. I have tried several of the methods to home stabilize wood, and in my humble opinion, wasted my time, money and blanks. Steve will stabilize your blanks for you very reasonably. Bear in mind that all woods do not stabilize well. Spalted woods seem to stabilize well. Next order, from whoever you buy from, include a blank or two of stabilized wood to try. It is a bit smelly, but with a dust collector that is not a problem. WRT articles, try the search function down at the bottom of the home page.

tipusnr

I do like the pen. The difference in the before and after was really surprising to me. I prefer the coloration in the original but maybe coming up with a finished pen that looks like that is not an option. I haven't worked with these types of woods long enough to know.

Good work!!

wdcav1952

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I do like the pen. The difference in the before and after was really surprising to me. I prefer the coloration in the original but maybe coming up with a finished pen that looks like that is not an option. I haven't worked with these types of woods long enough to know.

Good work!!
Thanks for the kind words, Tip. Yes, you can work with the unstabilized wood but need to use lots of thin CA. If you look in my photos here at the site, the 4th picture is one of an El Grande I did several months ago on unstabilized spalted sweet gum. The pen is very much lighter. I sold that one before I left Louisiana; so I don't have any feedback on how it held up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom