An "old school" kitless pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan_F

Dan_F

DSC_0740_2.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

Well, maybe not what you expected, but no kits were involved. :biggrin: Horistes burl.

Flange is made of brass, and is angled to lower the angle of the nib to the paper. This is called an oblique pen holder, the nib being the "pen", which at the moment a Henry 620 by Gilbert and Blanzy-Poure. The oblique angle is to allow for the flex strokes to be made by applying downward pressure while the nib is in line with the stroke, without turning the paper too far to the left. I guess I should have taken the picture from the top to really show the angle of the nib relative to the body of the holder. Here is a video (not mine) from Youtube illustrating how the pen is used. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FhJpFgN_Y

Still just a beginner at using the thing and have a long way to go, but it's kind of fun.

Dan

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Thanks for the comments.

Robert --- yes, very flexy. Without the flex, there would be no need for the oblique nib orientation.

Dan

76winger

Pretty cool to see how that style script is made using a pen like this and proper angle of the paper. The only thing I know about fonts, is how to select the font I want to use in Word. :rolleyes:

Caddis68

Nice looking pen Dan. Do you make your own flanges or purchase them? I've been tossing around the idea of making an oblique pen for myself as well, so I'm interested in any ifo you may have.

v/r
Bill

Top Bottom