Old and New - a few pen pics to get started - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Default Old and New - a few pen pics to get started

After a few posts and an introduction, I took some pictures this weekend of some of my pens.

This slimline is birdseye maple, although I took the wrong view and you really can't see the birdseyes. I've been using this pen almost daily for the past 5 years. The original finish was probably tung oil. It has developed a nice patina from handling over the years.

This was my first and only aluminum pen so far. I started off trying to give it a shiny appearance, but didn't like the fingerprint magnet it was, so gave it more of a brushed appearance. I enjoyed turning this - it will likely not be my last aluminum, if/when I get more aluminum stock.

Black & white ebony on a black chrome slimline. Very nice wood to turn - cuts very smooth. Finish on this is wipe on polyurethane.

Blackwood on a 7mm platinum roundtop from CSU. Can't see it on this photo, but I learned on this pen that CA used to glue the centerband onto the tenon is a good way to screw up your existing finish. Wipe on poly finish on this one, with a glossy smear of CA right around the center band.

0.7mm click pencil using double-dyted box elder burl. This one really has a plasticy look to it, more so than most other stabilized burls I've turned.

Madrone and cocobolo. This one is around 5 yrs old, so I'm guessing the finish is tung oil.

Zebrawood slimline. Finish is wipe on poly.

This is the newest of the group - turned it fresh today, and is my first cartridge/bullet pen. A co-worker gave me the brass and bullet for a 300 weatherby. The antler is mule deer from Saskatchewan. The cartridge on this one is exceptionally long, with only around 1/2" of the transmission extending beyond the brass. I first shortened the upper barrel by about 1/2" to compensate and make the pen roughly the same length as standard slimlines, but I forgot about the clip - it extended too far. This upper barrel is the second one made for this pen.

When I rec'd the brass, the primers were still in place, but inert. I had to modify a punch to knock these out. Drilling was pretty straight forward on the brass. For drilling the bullet, I learned that clearing the lead cuttings frequently was a must -- the drill bit bound in several bullets before I finally got one to cut through cleanly. Since I used pliers to remove the other bullets from the drill bit, they were too marked up to use.

Polish on the brass/copper is direct from my co-workers tumbler, with a "silvo" polish, no sanding --- I didn't have any brasso. Final wax with Renaissance Wax. Antler was sealed with CA, then sanded to 1500 grit then polished with plastic polish.

I don't like the clip fit on this pen though - with the thick curvered upper barrel, the flat slimline clips hug the body too closely. For my next one, I'll probably use one of the designer/ball clips, or even one of the euro clips and caps. I also don't like the gold match between the TN (from Berea) and the polished brass. Normally for antler, I like satin nickel fittings or black titanium, but I don't know how either will look with the brass/copper. Likewise, I don't know how the slimline copper fittings would match up with the polished bullet color. I may just end up making my own clip from brass rod next time. I'm open for suggestions on matching the clip to the cartridge/bullet for these style of pens.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Last edited by juteck; 05-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.
juteck is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads