Old growth cedar/Not a pen yet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Just wanted to share this with other wood lovers. I found some 6x6 beams at the tree burial ground, covered with paint, full of nails and lag bolts. Just a mess, but I could see that it was old growth. Cut some up tonight and made a few pen blanks from an end cut. Sanded the end grain of this blank and counted 69 rings in a 15/16" square blank. Yea, I know that western red cedar will not make a great pen because it's so soft, but, what a fitting end to this majestic tree. Hope the photo comes out somewhat reasonable, but I had to use magnification to count the rings!

Image Insert:
20041061289_westerncedar.jpg

85.88KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

I'm confused, your photo is of a finished round piece with chipping from a saw cut. How Did you get finished round stock from an old 6x...[:p] You could use that for closet rod...[:)] That grain is tight...

low_48

Well I was aiming for a toothpick, but ended up with a 7/8" dia pen blank. I just wanted to see how the cedar would finish up and how it would turn. I wanted the photo to show the end grain, so went a little close. Sooo, that's a photo of a 7/8" dia "stick", maybe. The 6"x6" timbers just means there's a lot of something to be made from them. I was thinking about some outdoor tables for the kids, but do you put 70 growth rings per inch old growth outside in Illinois weather?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Richard...any interest in selling 8-10 blanks. I'd stabilize em and make pens...after all, 70 year old trees deserve a respectful fate!

low_48

Lou,
I don't know how old this stuff is. The 70 growth rings are just in 1 inch of mat'l. Consider that it is from a 6" timber, that's 420 years old, and there is no sap wood in site. It's got to be 700 or 800 years old. That is probably conservative!! What do you think of $1 each. Add $3.85 for a flat rate envelope shipped. Just e-mail me with how many you want and your address.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom