OKLAHOMA HISTORY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

These pens were commisioned by a customer of mine that has bough 4 pens from me at 2 different shows. Her Great grandfather when to work at Phillips in 1922 and her Grandfather in 1944. Both watches were fully intact when she gave them to me. Gary (CaptG) used as many of the parts from each watch as possible. These will be Christmas gifts to her 2 sons this year. Notice how worn one of the backs is as it was the only watch ever worn by her grandfather.
The company that makes Phillips 66 gasoline began in 1917 as Phillips Petroleum Company, founded by L.E. Phillips and Frank Phillips of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. In 1927, the company's gasoline was being tested on U.S. Highway 66 in Oklahoma, and when it turned out that the car was going 66 mph (106 km/h), which was fast at the time, cementing the idea of "66", which was originally disliked, the company decided to name the new fuel Phillips 66

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3546-001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Top class Roy.:good::good:
Could be the photo, but it appears that the threaded cap coupler isn't fully pressed in on one of them?

PenMan1

Beautiful work, Roy. Skip is right. The third photo makes it appear that the joint at the CB connector is not square or not fully pressed. I love the pens!

scotian12

Roy...I really enjoyed these pens . What a great story behind them. With a watch pen like this I would be continually checking the time. Congratulations to both you and Gary. Darrell

seamus7227

i thought i might ask/comment on the lower barrel "date bezel" looking a bit more modern than the watch dial. Were those just used as "fill-ins"? Because they dont look like they came from the original watch

rd_ab_penman

WOW!
What a great way to preserve and show off a couple of heirlooms.
Any significance with the hands set at 6:24 and 6:26?
In the first photo it looks like the watch face is crooked on the barrel. Looks like it is not parallel to the finial cap.

Les

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Seamus, they are the original backs for the faces, I sent the complete watches to Gary and he sent me back the backs and the bands.

CaptG

WOW!
In the first photo it looks like the watch face is crooked on the barrel. Looks like it is not parallel to the finial cap.

Les

I can answer these Roy. I set the hands at the bottom of the face so as not to cover any of the Phillips 66 emblem. As for the one face not being square, that face was very thick and hard and by the time I got it bent enough to fit the radius, it was a little crooked and the risk of damage if I tried to make it straight was more than I was willing to attempt. Besides, I could not find in the rule book any where that said the faces have to be orientated in any special way. :)

OKLAHOMAN

Yes the date ring was a fill in, sorry I thought you meant the back cover at first, damn I need more than 2 hours sleep at night:redface:

i thought i might ask/comment on the lower barrel "date bezel" looking a bit more modern than the watch dial. Were those just used as "fill-ins"? Because they dont look like they came from the original watch

rd_ab_penman

WOW!

Les

I can answer these Roy. I set the hands at the bottom of the face so as not to cover any of the Phillips 66 emblem. As for the one face not being square, that face was very thick and hard and by the time I got it bent enough to fit the radius, it was a little crooked and the risk of damage if I tried to make it straight was more than I was willing to attempt. Besides, I could not find in the rule book any where that said the faces have to be orientated in any special way. :)

Gary,

Sorry you took offense to my constructive observation.

Les

CaptG

Les, no offense taken and I am sorry if I came across as being offended. I am always open to opinions as that is how ideas for improvements are born.

WildThings

The company that makes Phillips 66 gasoline began in 1917 as Phillips Petroleum Company, founded by L.E. Phillips and Frank Phillips of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. In 1927, the company's gasoline was being tested on U.S. Highway 66 in Oklahoma, and when it turned out that the car was going 66 mph (106 km/h), which was fast at the time, cementing the idea of "66", which was originally disliked, the company decided to name the new fuel Phillips 66.

You've done your homework!! My father started working for P66 in 1952 until his death in Dec 1980. I started working for them the next month in 1980. My division of their company has since changed and are now known has ChevronPhillips Company (CPC). I did spend some time on projects up in Bartlesville and really enjoyed the history of our parent company P66 which you summarized well. I still work for them today.

My younger brother has our dad's service watch from P66 which he lost on a beach in Galveston. It was found 2 years later by a treasure hunter with a metal detector and that guy sent it to P66 headquarters. They cleaned/restored it and presented it back to us. That was really cool. These pens are an awesome way to showcase the watches.

BTW the pens are beyond awesome !!

wizard

Roy,
Those are some gorgeous pens and treasured heirlooms!!! Literally you have history frozen in time...Fascinating story about the beginnings of a company and the history behind it's product.. Beautiful!!
Regards, Doc:)

Gregf

Wonderfull idea for an heirloom that would probably be laying in a drawer otherwise. Beautifull work as always Gary.

Triple Crown

This is a great post! I like the history and the pens! I recently did a lot of reading about Frank and L.E.'s younger brother, Waite Phillips. After working for his brothers, Waite founded several oil companies and later set up the Philmont Scout Reservation for the Boy Scouts of America. Phillips 66 is also a great company in that they have sponsored USA Swimming for many many years. Gary and Roy, the pens look great!! I can't wait to turn the blanks that I commisioned Gary to do using my mom's old watch. Wish I could find more time to do this awesome hobby! Thanks for the post and the new inspiration! I'll be sure to post pics of my pen when it's done. Greg

Top Bottom