OK, what wood do YOU think this is?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

EDIT - The pictures below show a Bethlehem Olive Wood pen.
----------------
I'm disappointed in the way this came out. Fit and finish weren't bad (though I could have done a better job with my sanding), but the wood is disappointing, IMHO. Not what I expected it to be at all; I've seen MANY beautiful versions of this wood on here. I even got this from Bill B (it was a freebie, so I'm not complaining TOO much!). But when I turned it, it was, as you can see, very plain.

So, what's YOUR guess?

BOW%20Polaris%20Top.jpg

BOW%20Polaris%20Left%20Side.jpg

BOW Polaris Right side.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wow, that would be some FLAT lacewood! Interesting guess, but no.

I'll reveal the answer tomorrow around lunch time on the East Coast. I'm curious to see what the other guesses are, so please keep 'em coming.

BTW, I think it looks like a lot like an apple pen I did a few months ago.

woodscavenger

It has a touch of curl in it but not much. I might venture curly mahogany except the stuff from BB is usually more curly than a pigtail. Another guess could be mesquite. It is a common one for him to send out.

woodscavenger

Oops. I was scanning the rest of the site and you gave it away.....[V] I won't tell until tomorrow but I would agree with your assessment on that one.

JimGo

lol...thanks Shane! I was afraid someone would see it after I did that, but oh well. As for your guess, I had trouble distinguishing the apple and mahogany blanks, so I would basically agree with your guess, too.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
GEEZ, Don't you guys no nutin' That's a Gold Atlas pen... BillB sells then by the truckload.. [}:)]
OH!!!! you wanted to know what the wood is... BEATS THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Sorry the pen did not meet your expectations but the execution looks good.
Griz-
Same church different pew,right click and you will see the letterspol designating Parlaris
pkpolpen.jpg

I can spot that "clunky" nib and cap anywhere.
I wish I had never got them.
Mot much you can do with them other than change the blanks.
It is a large pen compared to the one piece executive

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Griz-
Same church different pew,right click and you will see the letterspol designating Parlaris
I can spot that "clunky" nib and cap anywhere.
I wish I had never got them.
Mot much you can do with them other than change the blanks.
It is a large pen compared to the one piece executive

OOPS, since he got the wood from Bill, I assumed (YEAH I know what it means when you do that) it was an Atlas.. basically the same pen... but better plating, IMHO...
I actually like the Atlas, I keep one for my quickie desk pen... Have good success selling them also... especially in acrylics... and if you can find 6" long acrylics, you can get 2 pens out of one blank..

JimGo

Eagle, thanks for the kind words regarding the execution of the pen!

It's a Polaris; I am not a big fan, but for "special" blanks, I thought it would really show off the wood nicely. Like I said, I was expecting more from this blank, that's why I chose this kit! Plus, the pen is for my almost 70 year old aunt, so I wanted something that was a little thicker than a slimline (minor arthritis), but not as big as long as a Baron/Jr. Gent. I have one more of these kits, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be ordering any more; I think the way that one comes out will determine things for me.

lkorn

Jim, You are right.. I would have expected more. But sometimes you just don't know, nor can you predict, whats in the center of a blank. Sometimes its Gold, sometimes its Garbage. I'd turn it all away and start with a fresh piece.

JimGo

I'll put this in the first listing too, but, so you're not in suspense any longer, the blank was Bethlehem Olive Wood.

Larry, It is very tempting to dissassemble and try again with another blank. I keep going back and forth though, since the blank was worth $5! But, in the end, you're probably right. I want it to be special.

Fangar

Man. I never would have guessed BOW. I have never seen BOW come out like that. I have about 20 blanks left from Bible Artists, and they all come out unique. It is still a nice looking pen though. I think your Aunt would love it as it is.

James

vick

Are you sure it was BOW and not just regulare olive. I have seen some domestic olive that looked like that but never BOW.

Gary Max

Jim I bought a bunch of BOW back in Nov and there where a couple of the plain blanks in the pile. Pen still feels good just ain't got that zing to it. I ended up tossing 2 of the blanks.

JimGo

Yup, I'm sure it's BOW, even came with the certificate of authenticity! I was surprised to find it in one of Bill's boxes, especially as a give-away, but I wasn't going to complain about free BOW!

My first pen (and only so far) was a BOW Atlas... and it didn't look like BOW either. It was obviously a piece of burl olive wood, which I gues is sorta unusual. I use it for my work pen since Mike said I can't sell it. LOL But it IS a handy pen, once you get used to it. I think most are put off by the size/shape...as its just not that common. ALTHO at the one show we've done so far--a guy had a Monte Blanc pen in his pocket that HAS to be the pen the Atlas/Polaris was copied from-- almost exactly the same--just a more narrow center than most of us put as most all of these I've seen, sorta bow out in the middle, making a long elliptical shape which brings out the qualites of the wood so well.

airrat

wow that is a let down Jim. I have an atlas pen I am going to turn next week, using an interesting piece of Zircote. Will post the picture soon. haha need to post the pictures of the ones I did last weekend still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom