OK, Last one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've just about beat this to death, so I promise - No Chevrons for awhile!

However, this one went to wood128 (Joe) who several years back encouraged me to explore the black hole of segmenting, gave me some instruction and feedback.

Thanks Joe - Be well.

(And yes, the matching of the colors was intentional, and all four are the same :)).

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
AWww! I didn't "Like" that post because I want to continue to see you develop this. It is that intriguing to me!

Seriously, I like the pen and the colors. But I know when meticulous work looses its spark, no matter how good it is. Don't loose your touch!

I look forward to your next project with anticipation!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
AWww! I didn't "Like" that post because I want to continue to see you develop this. It is that intriguing to me!

Seriously, I like the pen and the colors. But I know when meticulous work looses its spark, no matter how good it is. Don't loose your touch!

I look forward to your next project with anticipation!

Ha! No spark lost, just thought folks were getting tired of them. I got several ideas in the works.

OZturner

Without taking a Poll Mark, I expect that Most of us do not get Tired of such Stimulating Posts.
It is a bit of a shame that you didn't post this one on March 17 "St Patrick's Day", it would have been a Massive Hit "To Be Sure, To be Sure"
The Colour Combination that you chose is Beautiful, and the Precision and Alignment, is Fantastic.
Superb Craftsmanship Mark.
Please keep them coming.
Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hello Mark
Pen looks great. Could you share what material you used for the green segments?

Thank you

Ps. Please keep the pics coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Sure. It is dyed veneers, but thicker than the typical found at most outlets. I have found two sources (Links below). I believe it is imported from Europe, and at least with B & B, they are frequently sold out of the THICK, not their thinner (I've been waiting on a few colors for several weeks; 4-6). I had some green before, but messed up the blank, and had to wait several weeks for their shipment to come in.

I buy in larger sheets, and this is nice as there is less waste - These blanks are "one-offs" for me, so I can cut each dimension for what I need.

They are also made from Hardwoods (Sycamore, and others), so I can actually run strips through my Byrnes sander and mill then down if needed.

The typical dyed veneers (ie, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc) are around .018" - .022". These are about twice as thick, which gives the more vibrant colors.

I've got a bunch more colors to try, but getting back to these will be a few more weeks (Moving my Mother-In-Law into a Nursing Home; 7 months after moving My Mom into a Memory-Assisted (Dementia Unit), and then need to figure out how to assist my 93 year Old Father-In-law...)

While my shop time will be limited, I will be sitting in several facilities for hours on end, (in three locations) and can make comments here. I hope others play with these - after you screw up a few they become much more manageable, and I do like the design options.

Any other questions - just ask.

Dyed Veneer,colored veneer,marquetry veneer,pool cue veneer
Veneer Wood, Dyed Veneer, Purchase Veneer Sheets, Marquetry Veneer, Pool Cue Veneer

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom