OK... gotta start somewhere....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

My first try at a wooden center band.... I can see that this has some real possibilities for dressing up these slimlines...

Osage Orange, Bloodwood center band... fumbled the shape, but learned the basic concept... and can now start building on that...

Thanks for the idea... it was nice to do something even a little different with these kits. :D

FirstWoodCenterband.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Actually, I kinda like that center band. As I stated in a previous post, this is not my favorite kit but you are getting me to think about them more and more. Good job on the center band. What type of finish are you using? It is absolutely stunning.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dang Marc, You got an eye for what looks good before you get there! Or you are just plain lucky! (I'll bet its the first.) I have made CBs and the colors just seem to be off. Your first try and you did a great job on color coordination as well as the design/shape!

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by melogic
<br />Actually, I kinda like that center band. As I stated in a previous post, this is not my favorite kit but you are getting me to think about them more and more. Good job on the center band. What type of finish are you using? It is absolutely stunning.

The finish....

Funny, I used to take quite a while to turn the pen, then finish it in just a minute or two... now I turn the pen in a minute, and it takes 30 to finish it [:D]

Sanded through 1500 MM, then several (at least 4) coats of thin CA are applied with a paper towel, buffing with 0000 steel wool between coats... once I have enough CA on there, I buff it with the Beall... that's it. No wax or finish, just polished CA. It seems to last a long time, and the other stuff I used all rubbed off eventually...

That's my story and I'm sticking with it [:p]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Dang Marc, You got an eye for what looks good before you get there! Or you are just plain lucky! (I'll bet its the first.) I have made CBs and the colors just seem to be off. Your first try and you did a great job on color coordination as well as the design/shape!

Thanks Hank

I just kinda rooted around in my pile of pen blanks, holding one piece of wood against the next... real scientific stuff here [:D]

I do (apparently) have some issues with the whole shebang being concentric... when I rotate the center band, it no longer matches up with the upper and lower barrels... just slightly, but enough to see... so I have to make sure to put it back where it was when I turned it...

I have no clue how to figure this out...

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Marc, I like the upper picture, great finish and photography. The lower picture needs some work, though. [}:)][:D][}:)]

Yea, yea... [:D]

I got tired of the WOOD HELP Gif thingie... so I thought I would torture the assembled turners with my mug for awhile... [:p]

Scott

Hi Marc!

I like this pen! That's a nice centerband! The color contrast is just right. You done good! [:D]

If we lived in a perfect world, our pens and centerbands would always be concentric! If you're really lucky you may obtian concentricity about half the time. It is much easier to work on transitions that hide imperfections. Say for instance you were to perfect the turing of small beads on your pens. I'm talking 1/8" and under. And say you were to put a small bead at the top and bottom barrel right where they meet the centerband. Where these beads come around and down to where the centerband is is a transition that can hide less than perfect concentricity. There are lots of kinds of transitions that can help hide things. The idea is to break up that lateral line of the pen so that small variations are less noticeable.

Glad you like the idea of the turned centerband!

Scott.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Marc!

I like this pen! That's a nice centerband! The color contrast is just right. You done good! [:D]

If we lived in a perfect world, our pens and centerbands would always be concentric! If you're really lucky you may obtian concentricity about half the time. It is much easier to work on transitions that hide imperfections. Say for instance you were to perfect the turing of small beads on your pens. I'm talking 1/8" and under. And say you were to put a small bead at the top and bottom barrel right where they meet the centerband. Where these beads come around and down to where the centerband is is a transition that can hide less than perfect concentricity. There are lots of kinds of transitions that can help hide things. The idea is to break up that lateral line of the pen so that small variations are less noticeable.

Glad you like the idea of the turned centerband!

Scott.

Aha! ....hide it! ...just like most other woodworking eh...

Muhuhahah!!

I get it! [:D]

Thanks... I thought maybe I had to buy a $5,000.00 lathe or something [:p]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />I think it looks like a big piece of candy. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but I don't like this combination. That is my professional opinion.

"That is my professional opinion."

Thank goodness... I thought it might be your personal opinion [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom