OHMYGOD! Spalted cross-cut dogwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

301306_206710376055702_100001502242963_544024_6468907_n.jpg

Dad helped me with getting some bandsaw woes worked out, and we cut up some more of the dogwood logs I had. I saw a slab that was ALMOST gonna get chucked because the cut was bad, and I saw potential in the cross-cut on it. I LOVE the blanks we got from this stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

That is a prize for sure Allen. I wish it was where I could get in the woods and and enjoy some of those finds.

GREAT job on the pen once again.

hewunch

Fantastic grain! and one of the best shaped pens you have done IMO. The finish on the lower barrel looks slicker than the upper barrel, but that is probably the camera/light. Great job!

Drstrangefart

Fantastic grain! and one of the best shaped pens you have done IMO. The finish on the lower barrel looks slicker than the upper barrel, but that is probably the camera/light. Great job!

I think the finish on the top barrel could be better. I got rushed, and it looked okay until I hit the better lit areas upstairs. I'm pretty sure as punky as this stuff was it drank a bunch of CA. I plan on being a lot more thorough now that I know what to expect. It was a learning experience.

SteveG

Great job on the pen, and nice selection with the x-cut dogwood. The "Comfort" style CB allows more "beef". and it looks good. You have a lesson here too. Provide yourself REALLY good lighting at the lathe and/or for inspection. That way you get what you want prior to pen assembly!

Drstrangefart

Great job on the pen, and nice selection with the x-cut dogwood. The "Comfort" style CB allows more "beef". and it looks good. You have a lesson here too. Provide yourself REALLY good lighting at the lathe and/or for inspection. That way you get what you want prior to pen assembly!

Actually, that's a custom centerband and I used bushings from a much beefier kit to make it. It's notably thicker than a standard comfort. I do want better lighting in the shop, and when I get around to upgrades it's first on the list.

Lenny

God, the more I look at this the more detail I see each time. Love this one a lot maybe one of my favorites to date.

Allan, something tells me this one has been CLAIMED! :biggrin:

Did you have to stabilize it with CA as you turned it?

If the rest of the log is anything like that piece, you are very lucky indeed! :)

Drstrangefart

God, the more I look at this the more detail I see each time. Love this one a lot maybe one of my favorites to date.

Allan, something tells me this one has been CLAIMED! :biggrin:

Did you have to stabilize it with CA as you turned it?

If the rest of the log is anything like that piece, you are very lucky indeed! :)

Not claimed yet. The missus already has enough pens I made to choke an elephant. I didn't stabilize, but probably should have. The log looks like more of the same, I'm looking forward to attacking it with the bandsaw.

Top Bottom