OH, The Smell!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pensmyth

pensmyth

I was VERY fortunate to acquire a few pieces of Huon Burl Pine from Turbowagon. They arrived Friday and I headed out to the shop today to turn one into a pen. I can say I was very intimidated with this piece of timber as the history, rarity and cost is substantial and any mistake was NOT an option! I had a Majestic fountain pen kit that just seemed perfect for this project. I set about drilling and prepping the blank. The smell is fantastic and is still lingering. I think it smells like Christmas in my shop right now! Many many coats of ca later and MM'ing then buffing here is my result. Now I'm wondering, this wood has an oil which acts as a natural preservative in it... I wonder if it will react with the ca finish? Anyway, Joe thanks for sharing with me and allowing me to experience and enjoy this beautiful piece of wood!

Attachments

• DSCN1488.jpg
    DSCN1488.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN1493.jpg
    DSCN1493.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN1503.jpg
    DSCN1503.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN1504.jpg
    DSCN1504.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

butchf18a

:usflag::tongue:Nicely done. Pic suggestions. Position pen on your base to eliminate background. To avoid the background wrinkles reflecting, iron your background, or better yet use a black one. This will isolate and highlight the pen. Dust on your base is almost impossible to eliminate, but if you have Photoshop or most any other editing software you can edit out the dust spots. Give you a dynamic picture to compliment an outstanding pen.

turbowagon

Beautiful pen, Andy! Excellent tribute to such a special wood. Your finish looks great! I usually wipe down with CA accelerator before the finish to wipe away any surface oils, and build up a good CA layer due to the wood's softness (8 coats minimum).

You did great on this one... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the other blanks!

- Joe

Top Bottom