Oh Crap! I'm hooked!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Spiderman

Spiderman

Thanks guys! I have just recently joined this most wonderful community after having received a small lathe as an early Christmas gift. I was so excited and have been grinding a number of fine sticks to toothpick sized scrap. Every spare moment has been spent reading through the forums, sitting at the feet of masters as they share the knowledge of thier craft. I am truly amazed at the quality of work that makes its way onto this site.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to purchase a few pen kits and finally try my hand at this wonderful hobby. My first pen is an American Flat Top RB wrapped in something I found in the shop. (Not really sure what it is...)

My second attempt was done in a rust/black acrylic. Number 3 was done in a Teal dyed Maple burl.

One day I might be as good as the rest of you...

Thanks again to all who contribute to this forum.

Mike

Attachments

• Pen 1.JPG
    Pen 1.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 302
  • Pen 2 and 3.JPG
    Pen 2 and 3.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 359
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Mike
A great start to the hobby, thats three very fine looking pens :) great finish on them as is the fit, with a slight exception to the lid on the pen on the left.. only ever so slightly under turned (something i done quite often with kits!) not sure if you are using bushings, but you may want to use a pair of calipers or verniers to measure the outside diamter oppose to relying on the bushings.

Spiderman

Thank you gentlemen! My first pen (on the left) was turned on a mandrel and I only discovered that the bushings weren't the same size as the fittings after I put it together. Back to the Library and forums and discovered TBC. Pens 2 and 3 were turned between centres with the use of a guage and I was very happy with the result. Pen 3, the fountain was my first go at a CA finish.

Again thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

Mike

BradG

sounds like you've done your homework :wink: and it does show in the other couple with the TBC, though as i said all three a nice. I look forward to seeing your later works

seamus7227

Mike, outstanding first three! Ease up on the distracting backgrounds, after all, you want people to notice your pen, not the granite counter top, etc. I also think your fit and finish look great(of course with the exception of the one that is overturned).

SDB777

Seems your efforts towards your new addiction are coming up great!!

Slightly under-turned on the first....I wish I could have gotten off that easy. And the other two have an awesome finish...be proud of 'em!

Scott (mighty fine) B

Top Bottom