Ode to a Vacumatic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
My version of a vacumatic blank with a clip tribute to Parker. Home brew PR resin sliced too many times to count, with hand fabricated sterling silver fittings. All comments welcome.
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Ode to Vac Closed.jpg
    Ode to Vac Closed.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 941
  • Ode to Vac Open.jpg
    Ode to Vac Open.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 940
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

No doubt a major amount of Labour. The home brew Kit and clip look great, but I'm off on a limb by myself in that I don't like the blank. Too busy, perhaps it's all the black so close together. sorry.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
To all who commented - many thanks. To Jeff, the blank actually came out a little more busy than I hoped, but maybe it will patina like the old ones and in 50 years it will look like this vintage inspiration.:)

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Vintage.jpg
    Vintage.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 349

Firefyter-emt

Wow, that is some serious work! Did you use the translucent amber PR so the blank was see thru like the original?

BTW, I have the same pen and color as the above Parker, but with out the tassie jewel. They are even more stunning than that photo shows.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Wow, that is some serious work! Did you use the translucent amber PR so the blank was see thru like the original?

BTW, I have the same pen and color as the above Parker, but with out the tassie jewel. They are even more stunning than that photo shows.
Thanks - Mine is not translucent. Was just trying to get a similar effect. Also has a center core to keep it together so even if the amber was see thru the pen would not be. Perhaps in a different version, but I really need a better way to make these. This one fought me all the way.

Firefyter-emt

What if you were able to level some plate glass and pour a thin swirled PR onto that and allow it to make a thin sheet? Maybe a few layers of masking tape to make a "dam" to keep the thickness?

Then a lightly tinted amber in the same method for the inserts. This way you might be able to cut it into thin strips, drill the holes in the sheet and then cut them apart and build it on a brass tube.

I like the pre-drill idea to keep the hole straight compared to the lines of the blank.

Make a wood board with four t-nuts in each corner, install pan head 1/4-20 bolts and place the glass ontop of that. This will allow you to adjust each corner to level. Just thinking here.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
What if you were able to level some plate glass and pour a thin swirled PR onto that and allow it to make a thin sheet? Maybe a few layers of masking tape to make a "dam" to keep the thickness?

Then a lightly tinted amber in the same method for the inserts. This way you might be able to cut it into thin strips, drill the holes in the sheet and then cut them apart and build it on a brass tube.

I like the pre-drill idea to keep the hole straight compared to the lines of the blank.

Make a wood board with four t-nuts in each corner, install pan head 1/4-20 bolts and place the glass ontop of that. This will allow you to adjust each corner to level. Just thinking here.
Even with that setup which is a good idea, I think it would be really difficult to make a uniform thickness sheet. This one was sliced from a turned cylinder and randomly oriented to get a similar effect to the Parker. If I cast a sheet, I think I would want to pass it through a thickness sander to make the pieces uniform, but I don't have one. The other idea is to make the colored section, turn it round, and with a thin parting tool on the metal lathe make grooves that can be filled with a second cast of black PR. The trick with that one is perhaps to make multiple pours at angles of the colored section to lose the grain effect.

PR_Princess

Bruce, I like it!!!

A Lot!!!:worship:

That offset shimmer effect as always drawn me to that pen.

I hate to say it though, but I think that the pattern it is not busy enough! Now, when did you say you were going to have those blanks available for sale??:biggrin::tongue:

Hmm... If you do what Lee is suggesting.... Do you think that you can make a blank patterned off of what (I think) they used to call a "snake skin" pen? I think something like that paired with the snake clip you made would be dynamite!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bruce, I like it!!!

A Lot!!!:worship:

That offset shimmer effect as always drawn me to that pen.

I hate to say it though, but I think that the pattern it is not busy enough! Now, when did you say you were going to have those blanks available for sale??:biggrin::tongue:

Hmm... If you do what Lee is suggesting.... Do you think that you can make a blank patterned off of what (I think) they used to call a "snake skin" pen? I think something like that paired with the snake clip you made would be dynamite!
Why thank you Princess. Don't think these will ever be for sale, but I could be talked into a trade for a kringle.:)

magpens

Hi Bruce,

What a lovable pen !!!

Thanks for reviving it and posting a link to it.

Perhaps my post here will result in that thread becoming active again and result in some of that Vacumatic material breaking its head through the surface. . Hope so.

I tried to make a blank like that but it was a failure.

Yours is absolutely beautiful !!!

Top Bottom