Oblique Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rtyler8140

rtyler8140

My wife recently took a calligraphy class and was taught how to use an oblique pen. Did a little reading and youtube watching and decided to try my hand at making one for her. I figure I could do a little better than the made in China, plastic one they gave her. Just did a real basic design to figure out the nib holder. Didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on a nice piece only to mess it up on the last step haha. She seemed happy with it, so that's all that matters. The wood is some spalted maple I had laying around. Comments and questions welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

The holder looks good. Nice simple curves.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the angle of the flange is a little off. Usually its about 50-55 degrees, with the point of the nib, in line with the center of the holder.

ladycop322

Very nice! I signed up for this class as well, here in Florida! The woman, Carla Hagan, is so talented. She is on Facebook if your wife wants to see her work. Anyway, the class was to be held in October but Carla got food poisoning and had to resched for November. The night before me and my girlfriend were to take the rescheduled class, her brother died unexpectedly at 43 yoa. So now, we will be taking in January! I cannot wait. I've always wanted to learn calligraphy! I'm glad she liked it!

rtyler8140

The holder looks good. Nice simple curves.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the angle of the flange is a little off. Usually its about 50-55 degrees, with the point of the nib, in line with the center of the holder.

I'll be honest, I don't know the first thing about setting the pen up. I just would have my wife test it and keep adjusting the angle until it got to where she liked it best. She seemed happy with that angle. I did read something on-line about having the tip of nib in line with the center of the pen.

rtyler8140

Very nice! I signed up for this class as well, here in Florida! The woman, Carla Hagan, is so talented. She is on Facebook if your wife wants to see her work. Anyway, the class was to be held in October but Carla got food poisoning and had to resched for November. The night before me and my girlfriend were to take the rescheduled class, her brother died unexpectedly at 43 yoa. So now, we will be taking in January! I cannot wait. I've always wanted to learn calligraphy! I'm glad she liked it!

Yeah my wife loved the class. It was offered by a local woman that was getting ready to move to Colorado. She'd been wanting to take the class for a long time and finally did it before the lady moved. My wife is pretty artistic, so she picked it right up. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, I just fake it till I make it haha. My wife actually posted a picture of some of her practice sheets and was commissioned by a girl to do some work. If only I could do that with some of my pens haha. Good luck with the class!

rtyler8140

Looks great. My first attempt went so-so. My nib holder wasn't great, nor the cut to insert it.

I can relate, I made a few nib holders before I got one I was happy with. I ended up clamping the pen holder in my vise and cutting the slot with my super duper high end Japanese flush cut saw....from Harbor Freight haha. The kerf on the saw is close to the same size as the brass. Ended up using a piece of paper as a shim to create a real tight fit so the holder doesn't move.

Top Bottom