Obligitory first pen photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from warreng8170

warreng8170

I've been mostly lurking here for the last month or so, reading and trying to learn as much as I could before actually trying to turn something. Here is the result. Apprentice slimline from CSUSA. Can't remember exactly what the wood is. It's some kind of African hardwood that came from a assorted bulk box off ebay. Finish is CA (2 coats thick, 3 coats thin) which went surprisingly well since I was concerned after reading some of the troubles that others seem to have with it.

My biggest problem which is not evident by the photo is that the pen seems to be slightly out of round. I think I may need to get a 60 degree live center. I'm using the stock live center from my Jet Mini VS which obviously doesn't seat all that well. Also need to go back and read up on how to make sure my mandrel is running true. Any advice you guys could give regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all of you who have posted on these forums. Your shared expertise has been invaluable to me in making my first pen something to be proud of (although I'm sure I'll cringe at it when I go back and look at it two or three-hundred pens from now).

-warren

200832624526_first_pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

negid

Nice pen and very nice photo. My first was very underturned. Good first go.

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, great first photo! The pen's nice, too!

What kind of mandrel set up are you using? Definitely get a 60 degree center, that'll fix a bunch of trouble straightaway. If you don't have one, get an adjustable one and turn one barrel at a time. I recommend the ones from Bill at Arizona Silhouette, they're really nice, but I had trouble with my Jet mini's headstock. Any long tapers that I stuck in there wouldn't seat because they didn't mill the female taper true enough all the way at the back. I ended up returning mine and switching to a Rikon mini for just that reason.

Shortly you'll be receiving recommendations to lose the mandrel altogether and turn between centers right on the bushings. I've heard nothing but good from the folks who've converted to this method, but I've yet to dive off into that pool yet. I'm holding out for johnnycnc to send me a free set of his custom bushings so I can write a great review for him. hehe

Nice job tackling the CA on your first time out, too!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Nice start Warren - especially with the CA finish. I didn't get the nerve to try that for a good while! Put that one up in a shadow box so it doesn't get lost. I gave my first one to my son who thinks it pretty cool! Keep turning and learning.:D

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Warren, like the others have said, the pen is definitely a good start. I keep my first one in my desk at work, and yes, you will definitely improve when you have some more pens under your belt.

A 60 degree live center is a definite must for decent turning. BTW, I am one of the ones Karl warned you about. The mandrel less turning really keeps you in round. Do a standard search using the words no mandrel and you will find lots of reading on this method. Using it, a 60 degee center and a dead center for the tailstock are must have items. Although Johnny's bushing are the best, you can turn pens with regular stepped bushings for the larger sized pens. If you go this route, his bushings are a must for slimline pens.

wildroot

Congratulations! What a beautiful looking pen!!! I posted my 1st pen (acrylic) just about 2 weeks ago!! Couldn't wait to read what people said about it... I have the fever now... But when I look at other pens people with a lot of experience are doing ~~~I think oh my God how do you do that... Plus every one said I'd be broke... so I am just passing all that info on to you!! Best wishes and don't stop turning!!! Enjoy Donna

warreng8170

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Karl, both my wife and I have been semi-serious photography buffs since college. I've been shooting digital for about 8 years now. That shot was just a quick set-up with a bounce flash. I plan on getting a light tent soon.
BTW, I have admired your castings for a while now. I plan on picking up some once I feel capable of doing them justice.

Cav, I just ordered a set of johnnycnc's slimline bushings along with his 60 degree live and dead centers. I figured I had to get a live center anyway, so the other items weren't that big of a deal to try. Should have them in few days (he had a few slimline sets in stock). Now you just have to put up with all my questions once I start trying to turn with them. :D

Thanks again guys,
Warren

warreng8170

Originally posted by MarkHix

Nice pen! Now the fun of new styles begins!

Possibly, but I've got about 20 slimline kits to use for practice before I start trying anything else. I assume most of these will be give-aways assuming I don't screw 'em up too bad [:p]

-Warren

Dan_F

Very good first effort, and the great photography is a plus! Since finding this site, I've spent more time researching tools and technique than turning, but I'm starting to get more involved in the actual doing now.

Dan

Top Bottom