Oak and Ebony Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chazmonro

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazmonro

Hey guys, its been over a year but I just turned a pen out of wood I got from a tree I took down out back. Its Oak with an ebony band (ok I didn't grow the ebony) the tree was 200 years old. Got hit by lightning... don't worry, most of the wood is set aside for furniture, but some pieces just weren't for furniture.

I finish with CA and then friction polish. While on the lathe the pen has a super shine, but after a few minutes of holding it in my hand the finish always dulls a little. Any advice? I just tell people its a satin finish, but its killing me.

pen07_1.jpg

pen07_2.jpg

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very pretty! Great job with the CB, too. My only critique is that, with the CB color, it might have looked better with a silver or one of the gray kits.

its_virgil

I do like the pen. I like any slimline that does not look like a slimline. The ebony is a nice touch.

Ditch the friction polish. I don't understand why friction polish is put over a nice CA finish. Use several coats and buff to an exquisite shine.

But, if you want to use friction polish, let it dry/cure for several hours or even overnight before you assemble the pen. It takes friction polish several hours to fully cure.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

chazmonro

For some reason the clip broke off the pen shortly after I assembled it, it must have been damage and I didn't notice it. I'm going to dissasemble it and probably go with a gunmetal finish or chrome. I have a bunch more blakes from the knarly wood from that part of the tree, so I'm going to make a bunch more just like it. I'll completely ditch the friction polish, but that totaly explains why the shine doesn't last... I usually assemble the pens right after I put the friction polish on them.

So I should use CA and buff it on a buffing wheel with some white diamond? I ordered some TSW. I put that on after I buff right? How long do I wait to handle the pen after the TSW is applied?

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom