Oak burl on Black and Chrome Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

The second of two pens for my father's doctors. Cant recall what type of oak burl this is. MM to 12000, and mylands friction polish. Best friction polish pen so far as I always seem to develop raised ridges with friction polish. I apply with section of a cut up tshirt, yet this time placed the cotton shirt piece over a mm pad, and used that to apply the finish. No ridges, no sanding, much closer to what im looking for for FP. C&C Welcome!

Attachments

• _MG_7377.jpg
    _MG_7377.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

NIce job and the grain is great!
Not sure what you mean about raised ridges?

Wish I had an answer for ya! Originally started turning bowls and platters and often used FP with no problems. Seems on small pieces though such as pens that I have a hard time with a smooth application. Similar to if you didn't take ca all the way to the edge, you would get a build up or ridge of ca glue. If you never saw the blank and just felt it it would seem as if you took some 60 grit to a nice ca finish...perhaps it was just too much FP at a time, and have since used a few thin coats. Since I applied it with a my hand under the cotton material I believe that the small space between my fingers was allowing a build up that spread unevenly. Hence the use of the mm pad under the cotton material. Think I will keep the cotton and use craft foam underneath as a smooth applicator. Hope that novel makes since!

Top Bottom