Nutless Bolt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've been playing with my nuts and bolts again!!:biggrin:
I must admit, that's when I have the most fun.:tongue:
There is actually only one small bolt here. That's the part that has the hex head. It is unscrewed from the body shaft to change the refill. The body is one complete piece. The 'cap' was simply a piece of M12 x 1.75mm all thread drilled and tapped with M10 x 1mm. All in stainless steel.

I love making these 'fun' ones and hope you like it too:biggrin:

Attachments

• NEW 009.jpg
    NEW 009.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,310
  • NEW 010.jpg
    NEW 010.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,344

greggas

Skip;

Your work, as always, leads the way in uniqueness and originality. Nice job. I agree with Butch....I think this one is my favorite. Thanks for the inspiration

workinforwood

I think it's really super Steve, totally radical! I wonder if you could take a nut the same size as the head on that bolt, cut it at one of the corners, then heat it up and bend it open to make a short stubby clip welded on to the side of the bolt head.

IPD_Mrs

Steven ... you are just soooooooo very lucky I DO have a barrier between my brain and my finger tips because you give me some really good openings ... but they shall stay unspoken and I will simply tell you that again you have created another masterpiece. One of these days I hope I am lucky enough to own one of your pieces of perfection (I already have a couple in mind that I will be saving my pennies for!!)

Excellent work my friend!!!!! :):biggrin:

Mrs

Timebandit

But then it wouldnt be incognito!!!!This way no one knows its a pen till you tell them.I originally though it was a before and after picture at first to.Very cool!!!

I think it's really super Steve, totally radical! I wonder if you could take a nut the same size as the head on that bolt, cut it at one of the corners, then heat it up and bend it open to make a short stubby clip welded on to the side of the bolt head.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, thanks all, but this one is pretty basic.:wink:

Here's a pic of the bits. The M8 bolt on the end presses down on the spring for the RB refill. I made the nib end ( inside) suitable for either a RB or BP. I just need a spacer to make up the difference in length.
I kept the 'brand' name on the end of the bolt.:biggrin:

Thanks again:)

Attachments

• NEW.jpg
    NEW.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 302

jskeen

That's very cool! I could see that as a limited production piece maybe. I wonder.....

So did you start out with stainless tube, or is the pen body an actual bolt? If so, did you drill it or do you have a micro boring bar? I can see most of the steps in my head but that one.

Is this something that could be priced within the reach of mere mortals, or is it as time consuming as your usual works of art?

Timebandit

Its not that its basic,its that its ingenious.Who else on here would have thought of this.It also helps to have the tools needed to create things like this,unlike most mere mortals.
Again,great pen and thanks for sharing it.:wink:

LOL, thanks all, but this one is pretty basic.:wink:

Here's a pic of the bits. The M8 bolt on the end presses down on the spring for the RB refill. I made the nib end ( inside) suitable for either a RB or BP. I just need a spacer to make up the difference in length.
I kept the 'brand' name on the end of the bolt.:biggrin:

Thanks again:)

PenMan1

I don't know what is in the water over in Wales, but would you send me a gallon?

This is one of the most clever ideas I have seen in a while. Very creative, but at the same time, a "head slap" that says "why didn't I think of that?"

Do the threads REALLY act as a pen cap? Great idea and execution, Steven!!!!

Phunky_2003

Steve,

I gotta say out of all the pens you've made this one is my favorite. Being a mechanic for many years that is really awesome. You've made some outstanding pieces of art but this one is way up on the list.

Very nice work.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Damn Skip - The year has just started and you made the pen of the year. Cool factor is 15 on a scale of 1-10. I love it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
It also helps to have the tools needed to create things like this,unlike most mere mortals.

No special tools required, I promise. One long 7mm drill available from anywhere. One 2.5mm drill for the tip of the refilll.
Now drill a 5mm hole down a shaft of 7mm or slightly thinner. Loctite the drill in the hole you just drilled and allow to dry. You now have a long drill bit for the nib seating of a RB refill or for the recess for a BP spring.

oh....and btw....
Only nature can make something that is 'awesome', like a rainbow or lightning, or a bird flying, but these are just pens. Nothing made by a man is awesome.
Being 'immortal' would be bad, cos then we would never find out if there is a God who is giving Mother nature a helping hand create the real awesome stuff:wink:

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 252

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Very nice Steve, fun and functional at the same time. Use it for writing or holding the family sedan together.:biggrin:

Rounder

What a piece of work! Makes a beginner like me wonder of the possibilities! Just goes to show what a little (excuse me, a lot) of imagination and determination can accomplish. Beautiful work.

Russell Eaton

Skip I just got a metal lathe for Christmas. I only hope before I die I can figure out how to make one of those. Thanks for posting, and giving some explanation. Russell

ctubbs

What is it with the name Steven? Steven Jackson - Steven King, two minds that are so far off the beaten track as to be invisible to mere mortals. Congratulations Steve, how wonderful it must be to be in a mind such as yours that cn even visualize a work of art such as your pens. Beautiful work. Thank you for inspiring.
Charles

JohnU

Another "over the top" pen Skip! It's been way too long in the waiting, glad to see you posting your creations again. Ive missed being driven crazy over not owning a metal lathe let. You sure make it look easy. Thanks for sharing the process. I'll add that to the others you've impressed us with.

jttheclockman

I think all the great adjectives are used up so will stick with fantastic work as usual. You are a step ahead of the curve here for sure. Thanks for showing.

OKLAHOMAN

Anyone want to buy a bunch of pen tools!!!!!!!!!! After seeing this I simply give up, my brain waves and yours are worlds apart. Steve what's simple to you is not only difficult for me it's just that I've never had the foresight you have, I look at a nut and bolt and see a nut and bolt you see art....

witz1976

It also helps to have the tools needed to create things like this,unlike most mere mortals.

No special tools required, I promise. One long 7mm drill available from anywhere. One 2.5mm drill for the tip of the refilll.
Now drill a 5mm hole down a shaft of 7mm or slightly thinner. Loctite the drill in the hole you just drilled and allow to dry. You now have a long drill bit for the nib seating of a RB refill or for the recess for a BP spring.

oh....and btw....
Only nature can make something that is 'awesome', like a rainbow or lightning, or a bird flying, but these are just pens. Nothing made by a man is awesome.
Being 'immortal' would be bad, cos then we would never find out if there is a God who is giving Mother nature a helping hand create the real awesome stuff:wink:

A metal lathe would help too I am guessing...

You guys are making me want to rob a bank so I can play with cool toys too:redface::rolleyes::redface:

Timebandit

I meant like a metal lathe and taps and dies(those are kind of special) to do all of this kind of thing.I realize it is simple,IF you have the required equipment.

I am not just lacking the physical equipment,but also the ingenuity.

Again great job!!!

oh....and btw....

Top Bottom