Numbers 6 and 7

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from warreng8170

warreng8170

After watching the "Turning Pens" videos, I thought I would try making a modified slimeline. These are my first attempts. These are also the first pens that I have done where I added the BLO to my finish. Up until now I had used CA only. Also, I switched from thick to medium CA. These two things made all the difference in the world. These two pens shine like glass. Now I really need to get a light box to take pictures that can really show the shine.

The first pen is made from Asanfena. When I finished it, I couldn't bear to pair it with an Apprentice kit. Luckily I had a couple black tactile kits from the March group buy. There are a few black spalt lines that really match up with the kit nicely. I realize that the tactile plating is still not the most resilient, so maybe when it starts to show some wear, I'll disassemble and put a black titanium kit on it.

The second one is from a freebie blank that was included with the Camphor and Thuya burl blanks that I got from Chad (cwasil). Not sure what it is, but it smelled amazing. Definitely floral. Anyway, my Mother saw the Asanfena pen that I made and asked when I would make her one. This was the result. The top half was a little fatter than I would like, but still came out pretty nice.

It's amazing how addictive turning these things can be, especially when you start to get a few that you are really proud of. I am already starting to crave making some capped pens. I've got a few Jr. Gent's that are starting to call my name. :)

2008412213940_Number_7.jpg

2008412214011_Number_8.jpg

Any comments and suggestions are always appreciated.
-Warren

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

Originally posted by igran7

Very nice Warren:):D[:p]. Glad you are putting those DVD's to good use. There is a wealth of info in them, Keep up the good work!!

Hey Joe! Thanks for the great deal on those DVD's. I sat and watched all the pen related ones back-to-back. There were tons of little things in there that I would never have thought of. Those should be required watching for new pen turners. I am in the process of watching the the Skew vids now. Those take a little more attention and "digestion", but I am determined to learn that tool. :)

-warren

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
WHAT DVDs ?? Very nice work Warren ! Glad you discovered the finish process ! Makes a pen look alot better . Good job ![8D]

Top Bottom