Nuestra Senora De Atocha pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

I actually made this pen a couple months ago. This was a gift for my father in law, turned 70 in April. His dad was an investor in the Atocha shipwreck search. I was able to get the small dagger or letter opener handle you see in the pics directly from Mel Fisher's family, it was brought up from the Atocha shipwreck site many years ago. I couldn't find a good way to incorporate it into a pen and couldn't bring myself to damage something historical so this is what I came up with.

The pen is made from Cuban Mahogany, what the Atocha was believed to be built from. The decals are the ship name, artists rendering of the ship, the year it sank as well as the Spanish flag at the time it sank. It was my first decal pen as well. Spent a lot of time with the design and layout but pleased with how it turned out. The coins are replicas BTW :biggrin:

For anyone unfamiliar with the ship here is a link
Nuestra Señora de Atocha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope you like it, C&C welcome and thanks for looking!

Warren

Attachments

• DSCF5387.jpg
    DSCF5387.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCF5381.jpg
    DSCF5381.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCF5375.jpg
    DSCF5375.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Nice Warren. Did you polish under the decal before putting it on.?? If you did'nt you should try that, and if you did you might want to cut away as much of the clear part of the decal as possible.

lin.

southernclay

Thanks all!

Lin, yes I did a CA finish and then MM underneath the decals (6 coats of thin off memory) Then went over top with thin then medium. I think the trimming closer is a good idea. I was pleased overall but not as perfect as I would have liked, thanks for the tip!

Seamus, not sure if you remember but this is one I PM'd you about months ago, I was brand new with no clue what I was doing haha. I appreciate your help, guidance and patience with my questions

Last edited:
Top Bottom