And now for something totally different!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from oops99

oops99

This is something that I've been waiting for since spring time. We have a walnut tree in our yard, and I dared myself to try and make a wal-nut pen out of cherry. Here's what I came up with......The dark color is ground coffee from Peru.
All comments welcome

Tom/oops99

Pens016.jpg

Pens015.jpg

Pens014.jpg

Pens013.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Very Nice. I seen a pen posted last year out of a hickory nut and thought the same thing with walnuts. I sliced a few open and really liked the design, but unlike you... I never got around to it. I'd like to see a pen from top to bottom all cast walnut. Nice Job. Just wondering how hard the shell is to turn...

oops99

Walnut Pen

Thanks John,

It's nice to get a good reply after the first one I got on this pen. Personally I was thrilled with the outcome of this idea, it took quite some time prepping this blank.
I had to dig the actual "NUT" out and then fill it with ground coffee followed by thin CA.
The glue gets caught up in the grounds before reaching the bottom of the fill, so I had to stop often and add more CA.
But I think it was well worth it. But that's my opinion.
About the whole pen idea>>>>>>>>> maybe if I assembled the whole blank, then cut the sides flat on the band saw, then either micro wave it, or do something to make the nut come out easier it would be worth a try.
We'll have to wait and see what the future brings.
BTW the shell cuts like butter, just make sure your tools are sharp.

Thanks again.

Tom/oops99

Last edited:

ldb2000

Tom , Don't take Cav's post personally , you asked for comments but didn't say you only wanted to hear positive ones .
I also don't like the pregnant look on a pen , it just looks funny to me but that's just an opinion on the shape . The design you chose wouldn't work as well on a thin pen hence the need for the fat look .
Your fit and finish look good and the concept is cool . Next time try it on a thicker pen , like a cigar .

oops99

Hey Butch,

You bring up something that, now I can see what your talking about " only positive ones."
Let me say sorry to Cav, because as you said it is his opinion, that was just plain dumb on my part.
I do respect peoples opinions, but to tell you the truth, I thought this was very unique, and I "DID" wait since spring to try this idea out. But I took his post as negative, and I only thought that this was something that would only receive positive replies.
And Thank You Butch for bringing this up to me. It won't happen again.

I'm very sorry if I offended anyone else.

Tom/oops99

ldb2000

Tom , you didn't offend anyone . As I said your idea and execution are good . I like what you are trying to do and think it would be great on a bigger pen , it's just not a blank that a slimline can show off well without distorting the proportions .
Criticism is a good thing , it helps us see things that we as the designers can't see .
If a pen that someone posts has no merit or uniqueness I will normally not post a comment but I thought your idea has that spark and hoped that you would understand and work with it .

TurnaPen

Tom, excellent workmanship good pen, I would love to have the whole pen like that inserted piece, I think that if the blank was made out of that, you would need to consider a higher end kit, it certainly would deserve it. Amos

Top Bottom