And Now for Something Slightly Different - Gears/Flowers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MIKL

MIKL

i had a brain storm (yes it did hurt
doh.gif
)

i got a set of tamper proof screwdriver bits, one lot looked like Gears so i had a play punching them into the aluminum

i then decided that they look a lot like flowers, but not flowery enough, so i turned the shed upside down looking for my leather punches and this is what i came up with

thanks for looking C&C most welcome

MIK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I was playing with a torx screwdriver the other day and they can be rolled at various angles to make different rivet like lines. Harder to control than ponce tools though. The gear flowers from the screwdrivers were as you described. The leather tooled work looks good.

OZturner

Mik,
Is there no end to You and your Ideas?

Why don't you take up a hobby and use up some of your time, enthusiasm and energy?
- OH Sorry I forgot you already have one.

Ah well keep them wheels turning.

Love your work, and your new Garden,
Congratulations.
Brian

MIKL

I was playing with a torx screwdriver the other day and they can be rolled at various angles to make different rivet like lines. Harder to control than ponce tools though. The gear flowers from the screwdrivers were as you described. The leather tooled work looks good.

hi ya curly, i have a whole set of these bits and have had a bit of a punch with most of them but the only one i have found usefull at the minute is the ones used above, i am sure one day the rest will be handy for something:rolleyes::confused:

Mik,
Is there no end to You and your Ideas?

Why don't you take up a hobby and use up some of your time, enthusiasm and energy?
- OH Sorry I forgot you already have one.

Ah well keep them wheels turning.

Love your work, and your new Garden,
Congratulations.
Brian
hi ya Brian, i still have a few places to go with these i think:rolleyes::rolleyes:

thanks for your feedback guys

MIK

lorbay

MIK when you put the foil on the tubes how do you keep from pressing (flattening) the rivets. I have been trying a few but seem to press on the tube when applying the foil and I seem to flatten the rivets out. Also I had a hard time finding the copper foil in Canada so had to go to the US to get some.

Lin.

MIKL

Holidays finished, back at work... bugger

So, is the aluminum wrapped around a brass tube? Is it encased in clear resin?:confused:

hi ya Phillip, yes i cut and wrap the pieces around the tube, the last step is to cast them in clear polyester resin

Sweet. Very nice Mik...

thanks for the feedback Mike

MIK when you put the foil on the tubes how do you keep from pressing (flattening) the rivets. I have been trying a few but seem to press on the tube when applying the foil and I seem to flatten the rivets out. Also I had a hard time finding the copper foil in Canada so had to go to the US to get some.

Lin.

hi ya Lin

i put all the pieces on the tubes first. then using the tools i made shown in the picture below i press every single rivet individually by hand, it takes me about an hour to make 1 tube, that doesn't include the casting, that comes next

the copper foil i use is available in the garden section of our hardware stores, its what you put around your pots to stop the snails from getting to your plants, snails wont crawl over copper, it gives them an electric shock

i hope this helps, anymore questions just ask

all the best

MIK

Attachments

• DSCN4168edt.JPG
    DSCN4168edt.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom