The noVel Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

This is just an experimental idea I've had in my head recently. The pen wasn't too difficult to do but I kept tyring new things with the finish and having to start over. Eventually my wife said "You've got three minutes.", so I finished up and it came out alright. It's a Cocobolo top with a cocobolo strip. The bottom half is local Box Elder. Top half has five coats of Master's Magic Gloss Lacquer (pictures don't do it justice), bottom half is one coat of the same (only had three minutes!).

200561344240_noVel-Pen.jpg

20056134430_noVel-Pen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Looks great Nils, I was thinking today while doing a Euro of a desing like that. Im glad to see it looks better then I envisioned.

elody21

Very nice design! I love pens with more than one wood or medium in them!

nilsatcraft

Thanks for the comments everyone. As is the case most times I try an experimental pen, I learned a lot and will do a better job next time. In answer to woodscavenger's question, that little point wasn't too bad for sanding, actually. I sanded it carefully with the rest of the pen, then sanded it by itself with the lathe off as I worked through the grits. A fellow turner on Yahoo suggested I try using a t-shirt to buff the lacquer finish so I'll have to give that a try next time. Eventually I'll break down and buy a buffing system but the money's too tight at the moment. [V]

nilsatcraft

Michael- We carry the Masters here at Craft Supplies USA. I used the Masters Magic Gloss Spray Lacquer. We also carry the satin and I use both. This pen was just gloss, though. I've had other pens turn out way better but there's alway next time. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom