Notty Aussie Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toolcrazy

toolcrazy

Australian Majestic Olive Wood to be exact. Pick some up from an Aussie dude right here on IAP. Direct from Australia. Black Chrome Cigar, CA finish.

Attachments

• aussie_olive_cigar.jpg
    aussie_olive_cigar.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 229
  • aussie_olive_cigar_back.jpg
    aussie_olive_cigar_back.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Steve ! That is NASTY beautiful timber there man . Did Fred send that to you ? That is just sweet . Beautiful work Steve .

robutacion

:eek:..., that's a damn pretty pen right there!

Is not often we see the Majestic Olive knots in pens, but that one worked just stunning. I reckon the kit type (one of my preferred, in the economic side of things!) and kit colour, does bring out the wood texture and colours.

Nicely done, toolcrazy!:wink:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

toolcrazy

Steve ! That is NASTY beautiful timber there man . Did Fred send that to you ? That is just sweet . Beautiful work Steve .

Thanks for the compliments!!

No, George (robutacion) sent it to me. I think that is the nicest of the batch. And they are all nice.

I'm a big fan of the black chrome cigar and olive combo. I'm also a sucker for nice Olive Wood.

Bree

Beautiful pen with lovely proportion and great wood! Good job!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

robutacion

Why was the Olive wood being so naughty.??

Hahahahahah Jgrden, I think I can answer that on toolcrazy's behalf, well..., that blank is "knotty" because it has knots, and is "naughty" because it end-up being "rubbed" buy another male, not without going for a trip half way around the world!

Can you see she saying..., "hey, look at me, look at me, ain't me the prettiest thing...?":eek::tongue::biggrin:

Seriously, Olive wood with "fine" heartwood grain can produce some beautiful effects, including some knots. These are internal formed knots, as is no connection and or branches joints that could explain them. Now, what created the formation of the circular "rays", was small little shoots that started forming on the outside of the young branch but, soon have died or dried off. As the branch developed, the sapwood soon covered the little scars on the outside but, the heartwood pattern was then formed when those little shoots started growing, which continued growing in size since and for well over 100 years.

Most of the olive branches that develop fine grained heartwood, have generally large amounts of nice yellow sapwood around, making the overall size of the heartwood circle (not always circle), 1/2 to 1/3 of the log diameter.

I'm adding a few pics pics, to make my explanation easier to understand!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 615-1_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 615-1_(1).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 88
  • timber preparation 617-1_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 617-1_(1).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 97
  • timber preparation 679-1_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 679-1_(1).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 94
  • timber preparation 680-1_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 680-1_(1).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 90

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Not many woods prettier than a good piece of olive wood with character. And that there is a real beauty!

Top Bottom