Not what you expect from Jonathon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NittanyLion

NittanyLion

I swapped some blanks with Jonathon and got some of these black ash beauties. His timber is as stunning as his acrylic. Finished with some of my own "Doctors" mix of shellac, walnut oil, and Caranuba....many, many, many coats. Rhodium Jr. Gent w/Bock nib from Classic Nib.

Attachments

• P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 298
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 266
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 170
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

That's gorgeous Steve! I haven't turned any of that yet...now I really REALLY want to. That's my all time favorite burl.

Now I know what the black ash I acquired from his shop during a deep undercover operation will look like. And it looks great. Of course you sure helped it by giving a great finish.

LOL! I would have believed you, BUT the box with that wood was under the table saw and COVERED in spiders. No way a big bad Marine like you would go anywhere near it! :ghost:

robutacion

I swapped some blanks with Jonathon and got some of these black ash beauties. His timber is as stunning as his acrylic. Finished with some of my own "Doctors" mix of shellac, walnut oil, and Caranuba....many, many, many coats. Rhodium Jr. Gent w/Bock nib from Classic Nib.

Hi, I know that you didn't ask for comments or criticism but I would like you to allow me to give you my thoughts on this pen and keep in mind that, I only want to give you constructive criticism and express "MY" opinion...!

I like of the way you "rolled" the edges of the oversized top barrel, if it is going to be oversized, at least that edge finish is the best solution of the problem.

As for the finish, when I looked at your second pic, I was quite disappointed to see that, the finish didn't cover the wood surface as a uniform coat, the gloss produced from that finished made the little wood crevasses to show more and in my view, spoiling it.

I believe a proper CA finish would be a better alternative, if your intention was to make it look more like a "natural" wood finish, a matt or stain finish product would be more appropriate., in fact, for a natural look, I would do nothing else than to stabilise the blank, fine sand it and then polish it with a Novus-2 or any other polish compound, these would be my choices.

I don't go much for a gloss finish that doesn't have a mirror finish, sorry...!

Cheers
George

ttpenman

That is one beautiful pen! I think I got some Black Ash Burl from a dealer at a woodturning show last month. Now I have to go home and check.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

NittanyLion

Good looking pen. I thought you were the burl source guy, must have swapped burl for burl?

Mike, I've been hunting for some black ash burl for quite some time.....I've only come upon a few black ash trees where I do my burl hunting.....but no burls. Luckily Jonathon came through. It sure is some nice looking timber.

Top Bottom