Not up to the level as everyone else...but

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Thought I'd share some from this last week.
Having to fill an order of 13 pens, and these are 6 cartridge pen from Woodturningz(PSI line kits).

#1: BOW w/CA-BLO finish
3-23-2010bethelemolivewood.jpg

#2: Black Locust w/CA-BLO finish
3-23-2010blacklocust.jpg

#3: Bubinga w/CA-BLO finish
3-23-2010bubinga.jpg

#4: Juniper w/Poly finish
3-23-2010juniper.jpg

#5: Maple w/CA-BLO finish
3-23-2010maple.jpg

#6: Tamboti w/Poly finish
3-23-2010tamboti.jpg

Would like some honest critiques, as I can only really learn by knowing what mistakes were made!

Scott (Thanks for looking!) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Scott They look good from here, the only thing I see is what appears to be some finger prints on them. A wipe down with a micro cloth should help.

Brooks803

I agree with Max, a good wipe down and they look great. I do notice a very slight separation between the wood and casing on #'s 1 & 6. Might need to be pressed in a lil more.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Scott!!!

Welcome to IAP and congratulations on your pens!!

Posting pictures is a very limited method of critiquing (albeit the only one we have).

FROM THE PICTURES, it appears your finish does not have the gloss that CA would normally give--probably relates to either trying to "finish" it all before the CA has thoroughly set, or not using the micromesh slowly enough. Your poly finishes look good.

IF you see them in person and they look GREAT, then ignore the above.

They are certainly a good start and thanks for "taking the chance" of displaying your work!!

SDB777

Thanks for the heads-up on the wood not meeting up with the cartridge. I'll fix that before sending it out!

I'm thinking my skills as a photographer are not quite up to the challenge of doing pens yet. The finishes are really shiney, but the angle of the light source compared to the camera lense doesn't really show it......

Scott (thanks much) B

glen r

I love the color of the Bethlehem olivewood. Its the first wood that I turned for a very special friend and his Mother. The tamboti is also nice. Like others have stated - fingerprints and possibly not as much shine as possible. I usually try to use ICE polish as my finish, after going up to 12000 with the mesh sanders and water. I use a 600 grit wet sanding and then an 800 wet sanding before I go to the mesh cloths and find that I get a better finish. Just my $0.02

capcrnch

They look good!

I recently got lectured by an older, very religious woman, for putting Olivewood.. aka "holy wood" paired with a rifle casing...

She was seriously appalled at the thought of pairing the two.
I sold the pen 5 minutes later. lol

Jgrden

I hate that kit, but I love what you did with it. Did everyone of those parts fit without sliding inside each other? Hard to explain. I am guessing that everything went okay for you.

SDB777

I hate that kit, but I love what you did with it. Did everyone of those parts fit without sliding inside each other? Hard to explain. I am guessing that everything went okay for you.

To be completely honest....

No. The kits had some problems in the QC area. I was in touch with the great people at WoodnWhimsies(where I got the kits from) to let them know. After all, these are Penn State kits and should have been QC'd there before being sent to another vendor.
I had to 'modify' a few pieces in order to get all these pens completed.

Don't let this turn into a bash the W-n-W people, it's not their fault, and they have been great to me in the past, and I will continue to buy products from them!

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it.

Scott (#2 is assembled correctly, it's the photo) B

Top Bottom