Not too bad for scrap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TerryDowning

TerryDowning

As part of my hobby, I make pens for young men earning their eagle scout.

The troop I have worked with off and on has a large oak tree as their symbol, so I make the pens out of oak. I had a stock of Oak that came from a blow down, but it finally ran out. I was made aware of an upcoming eagle scout at last minute notice. (I haven't been as active in the troop as I once was.) I realized, that not only is my stock of live oak depleted, but my selection of kits is pretty much depleted as well.:eek: By depleted, I mean nothing left but scraps, and left overs from previous kits. Tubes from on kit, clip from another etc. etc. :frown:Also, being short of time, between short notice, and other projects, I really didn't have time to work up a componentless pen.

What to do:confused:

I start scrounging around my shop looking for something that should work. I have a couple of piles that I can search through "shorts, and off cuts" and true scrap, you never know when you need a decent piece of true scrap for making a lig, or shims or whatever. Any way in the scrap pile I find some oak that came off a piece of mid grade furniture Particle board with oak trim that was disposed of. I kept the oak and thew it in my scrap pile knowing I could use that in the future. (I never thought I'd use it on a pen.:biggrin:)

Anyways, here's is the finished product. Fat line made from Scrap Oak with a piece of walnut scrap for the center band.

Scrap board was cut on a 50 degree bias to give the grain more character. Finish is CA, Walnut center band was burned with wire to add some detail. Hardware is all left overs from a variety of slimlines. I did this in less than hour while the finish on a cabinet I was also working on was drying.

I finished this up, applied a second coat of finish to my cabinet, cleaned up and off to his eagle court with 5 minutes to spare.

Included in the pic is a cut off from the scrap to show where it came from.
ScrapSlimline.jpg
ScrapSlimline2.jpg

Enjoy, I know the young man that received this pen, was very pleased based on the look on his face when I presented it to him.

Terry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brentda1

Awesome pen and awesome reason. I had 2 nephews who made Eagle. My brother was still alive then and did a lot of scroll saw work. He made an Eagle with a US flag in the background for both and it became a prized trophy. With the current direction of the world we would all be served by investing in some young lives in a positive way.

Brent

Proud2Turn

Outstanding

An Eagle project in itself. Sure the new Eagle Scout will carry it with pride. That is a great tradition you have with the Troop.

ALA

Looks great!. I especially like the angle cut on the blank. Gives it that extra "twist". :wink: I'm sure he'll be very proud of it.

TerryDowning

Looks great!. I especially like the angle cut on the blank. Gives it that extra "twist". :wink: I'm sure he'll be very proud of it.

I was very pleased at the rays in the oak. Cutting it on the bias really made the difference on the grain. Fortunately, I can get many more blanks from that board and it has been moved from my scrap pile to my off cuts pile so I can find it easier and I don't accidently throw it out. I may just cut it up for blanks and put those in the blank box.

Top Bottom