Not sure about this one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RonSchmitt

RonSchmitt

The wood for this Baron is part of the cargo from the shipwreck Pinta.
( No, not THAT one )
It sank in 1963, and the wood is chock full of worm holes. The blank was cast for me as worthless wood by Mesquiteman because it was unusable as it was. Curtis did a great job with the casting, but I'm not sure about the end result due to the amount of holes that needed filling.
What do you folks think?
1_Pinta_baron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

ron, i'm with you on this one. i'm sure someone out there will love it.....don't get me wrong........you did a wonderful job......just not that into the blank..........

Sabaharr

That sure is a unique color choice for a baron. Be that as it may if you like the combination then fill the holes with a clear filler and let it be part of the character of the pen. You will get a lot of fun out of explaining how they got there.
Stephen

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ron, I have to say it doesn't do much for me. Somehow, you needed to get an antique/shipwreck look for the blank, and I don't think it happened. Nice work, but it doesn't say shipwreck to me.

PenAffair

That sure is a unique color choice for a baron. Be that as it may if you like the combination then fill the holes with a clear filler and let it be part of the character of the pen. You will get a lot of fun out of explaining how they got there.
Stephen

The blue does give it a "new & shiny" look that doesn't exactly say shipwreck. I agree, use a clear, make it a feature, althought not sure how that would look either. Otherwise, a basic flat black might be better.

Of course I cold be just jealous as you've hooked me on the idea of historical woods. Still have to turn that blank you sent me - I'm waiting for a special pen before I try it.

Russell.

RonSchmitt

. Not crazy about the lack of wood at the final. Was the wood not long enough for the pen?

Actually, the blue band around the end is the part I like:embarrassed:

and Hughbie, don't worry about hurting my feelings, I'm a big boy and if I didn't want honest opinions I wouldn't ask for them.
( especially from THIS group:biggrin: )

""give it a "new & shiny" look that doesn't exactly say shipwreck""
Agreed, the other shipwreck pens I have done were all a matte finish.

markgum

I'm a sucker for historical woods also. Looks good 2 me. The blue adds the touch of the 'ocean' where the wood came from.
great work.

Top Bottom