Not sure about this one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskeen

Don't really know why the Idea struck me on this one, but was digging through a box of wood scraps, micarta pieces and bits of antler, and found this old axis antler crown piece. It had weathered for some time, and was totally greyed out, with some little lichens growing in places. It was too short to get a full length pen out of, so i pieced in a few discs of water buffalo horn and a chunk of cocobolo, turned it down and carved some matching grooves, which don't really show up that well, but do at least make the edges match up. I just got some MM from BB at AS, so I tried that up through 12000 and then buffed it with white jewelers rouge and renwaxed.

The parts came from a brushed nickel baron, I tried gold, but it didn't go with the old antler as well. it would probably match better with a newer antler that still had some brown in it.

20071213161041_antler1.jpg

20071213161058_antler3.jpg

20071213161114_antler4.jpg

20071213161136_antler5.jpg

20071213161420_antler6.jpg

I'm not totally sold that I like the design, so I didn't glue in the cap ring and threads, I can always knock it back apart and salvage the kit.

Let me know what you think. Do you like it, would it sell? Would you buy antler crowns to make one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I LIKE IT! Thought it was a shaving brush at first. Looks like a cross between a Panache and a shaving brush. Don't know what you would call it but it sure is original. Great job!

jskeen

Yes, it does stand up level and is stable. I just didn't photograph it like that cause there is not a clean level spot in my office to take the picture :) If I keep it as is I will use it as a desk pen.

BTW, after playing with it most of the morning, I went ahead and black inked in the carvings in the wood that match the antler grooves, and they show up better now.

20071213172756_antler2.jpg

jskeen

It writes surprisingly well, I wouldn't have designed it that way on my own, but i had heard the same thing said of the Panache pens and sorta took my idea from that. The cap is a disk of the same water buffalo as the top of the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom