Not so much showing off a pen as a lesson learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

I was very inspired earlier this week when I posted a picture of my first attempt at a segmented blank pen - the feedback I received from all of you was very positive, and I was enthused and motivated!

Well, I think today I learned that there CAN be too much of a good thing. :redface:

I'll explain.

In my mind, I imagined this really cool PSI Olympian Elite 2 piece pen, with segmented blanks for the cap and main shaft made from Bubinga, Maple and walnut. So I jumped in, glued up the blanks, and I was really getting into it.

IMG_3253.jpg, IMG_3255.jpg, IMG_3259.jpg

I then went about cutting, drilling, and gluing tubes into the blanks, and tonight I made the first pen.... and I don't like it at all. There's too much going on.

IMG_3263.jpg, IMG_3265.jpg

So the lesson I learned is that a segmented blank like this would probably look ok on a single barrel pen, but not on a 2 piece.

I also learned a little about turning woods with different grain directions - the Bubinga (center section) was soft and turned very easily, but the Maple was end grain, which is much harder. The walnut is also end grain, but a bit softer than the maple. The result is uneven material removal as I passed the gouge along the length. I ended up sanding more at the end, to get everything to the final diameter. Also, as I sanded, the maple seemed to burn a bit, resulting in some dark discoloration. I think some of the walnut sanding dust may also have gotten into the maple's pores. Dunno.

Anyway, I have a pen that writes ok, but looks like I tried too hard to make a fancy pen... I don't think it's going out of the house, except maybe in my wife's purse, so she can cross stuff off of the grocery list at the store.

Thanks for reading. Any tips would be appreciated.

And by the way, I still had a blast making it! I learn a little (sometime a lot) more with each pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have run into that before also. There are some segment designs that when on both parts of a two piece pen, just distract from one another. Yours doesn't look bad at all!

On mine, the individual segmented sections I made looked great, but together it was the pits.

Last edited:
The pen looks good and the blanks are flawless but I agree, it's a little busy. I did the same thing when I started segmenting, only I made blanks very similar to yours for two pens and decided it was too much only after finishing both. At least you learned in half the time it took me!
Still good work and nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure many will think it looks great just as it is.

Herb G

I like your pen personally. Yes, it is a tad busy.
I remember something an old timer said to me a long time ago.
Something along the lines of "If you have to explain it, it's not art" or words to that effect. In other words, it is what it is.
You made it with your own two hands. It is a useful object.
It will serve the purpose intended.

Be grateful you are able to do that. Lots of people out there are not able to do so. I am grateful everyday for the gifts I have.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Truer words were never said.

:wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi again Kevin.

All your comments are valid and will serve you well as you develop your own designs that you are satisfied with.

Another method to consider when you want very precise matching end segments is to glue in your primary center blank, then part off the ends while on the lathe, and using calipers carefully match the dimensions.

Then glue on whatever end caps you wish, and finish as usual.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Have FUN!

MDWine

I have seen FAR BUSIER designs get big money at the D.C. pen show. Those do not appeal to me, but these (yours) are not busy at all and look quite nice.
I like'm!

I think ya done good... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Make the pens as technically sound as you can, SOMEONE will appreciate the design... guaranteed!

I had a co-worker go crazy over the ugliest pen I ever produced. I hated it so much I gave it to her. She would have given me a good price, but I was happy to have it gone!

Keep experimenting!

OZturner

Excellent Segmenting Kevin.
I don't think that it is too Busy, but more like the Sizes of some of the Sections, may have worked better if they were Smaller and the Major Materials, made a little Larger.
I suppose what I am saying, is that some materials could have been sized as Thick Veneers, rather than "Chunks" of Wood, and would not have create a Busy Reaction.

Your Segmenting is Terrific, Excellent Fit and Finish.
Yes when you use different materials, and Differing Cuts, you will get differences in the amount of material removal, and some times colour transferring, so you need to be conscious of this when Segmenting and also Turning.

An Excellent Lesson, and from what you mentioned, Well Learned.
Congratulations, and thank you for Sharing, I look forward to seeing more of your Work.
Brian.

Last edited:

KMCloonan

Brian, thank you for the excellent feedback. I understand exactly what you mean about using thinner segments, and completely agree. I also am more aware about material transfer from darker segments to lighter, and need to work to minimize that.

Thanks again!

Gwatson50

For me segmenting a pen is a creative endeavor... I let the design percolate awhile then try my best to make it a tolerable reality. In the end I hope it emerges as something I like. Maybe other people will like it or maybe not...I find your design and implementation attractive. If you think it too busy you might try just segmenting the cap next time, letting the wood speak for itself on the barrel. Trust your creative instincts... let it be a piece of you... that you might give to someone, perhaps market to others, keep in your pocket, or on a stand in your home. The pen is not too busy, it's as busy as it has to be for it to reflect your concept of "great!"

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

It is hard to finish woods with different densities and also hard to sand them. I always found that non porous woods mix well but porous woods don't mix well with solid woods. I don't use CA for a finish so that is why I like non porous woods.

KMCloonan

If you think it too busy you might try just segmenting the cap next time, letting the wood speak for itself on the barrel.

GWatson: Brilliant suggestion! I happened to have an Olympian Elite 2 Pen made of solid Bubinga, so swapping the caps between the 2 pens sort of gets at what you are suggesting. I wished I had thought of that!

IMG_3293.jpg,

Also, I had some extra segmented blank material left over, so I made an Oxford Rollerball with a single shaft. It's less busy.
IMG_3295.jpg, IMG_3294.jpg

I think that's the end of my lessons learned for this topic. Thanks again everyone for the excellent feedback!

Jayman72

It all depends on one thing....

Endless possibilities. :wink:

But in all seriousness, I think it really depends on what you want to highlight.

If you want a blank that has lots going on, choose a kit that's very plain.

If you want to show off the kit keep the blanks simple.

That said, I think the work you did is gorgeous even if the pen is a little busy.

My personal carry is similar in design with a few subtle changes.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Same basic idea with a few differences. Blank is made from only 2 species - Maple Lace Burl and Ebony with a Credit Card dividing line. Had I added another species next to the Ebony I think I would have run into the same issue you did.

Now, when I build my next one I will only do something special to the cap and leave the body one wood. I also think mine is a little busy with the cap and the body matching but a lot of people really like what I did.

So I guess it really comes down to two things.

Personal preference and endless possibilities. :biggrin:

Last edited:
If you think it too busy you might try just segmenting the cap next time, letting the wood speak for itself on the barrel.

GWatson: Brilliant suggestion! I happened to have an Olympian Elite 2 Pen made of solid Bubinga, so swapping the caps between the 2 pens sort of gets at what you are suggesting. I wished I had thought of that!

View attachment 165865,

Also, I had some extra segmented blank material left over, so I made an Oxford Rollerball with a single shaft. It's less busy.
View attachment 165866, View attachment 165867

I think that's the end of my lessons learned for this topic. Thanks again everyone for the excellent feedback!

I was going to suggest making another plain pen out of a matching wood, and swapping the caps. I see you beat me to it. With the plain cap especially, it highlights your segmenting and makes it pop. Good work.

Top Bottom