"Not" so good knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from navycop

navycop

Here is my first solo attempt at a celtic knot with my homemade jig on a tablesaw. The blank looked good after I cut it and glued in all the veener pieces. But something happened after it was turned. It is on a slimline (that could be the problem). Pictures taken with my iphone. I did leave about 1/8 of material at the top of each cut.

Attachments

• 23jan2013 086.jpg
    23jan2013 086.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 23jan2013 088.jpg
    23jan2013 088.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 23jan2013 089.jpg
    23jan2013 089.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 379
  • 23jan2013 090.jpg
    23jan2013 090.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Mike

Something looks odd. Not sure what you mean about leaving 1/8" material at the top of each cut. Is this suppose to be a multicut knot?? In other words 2 knots together??? Did you follow the instructions in the library??? What did you cut with and did you use the cut all the way through method or did you leave material and just fill the void??? Did the fill material match you saw kerf exactly??? Something is definetly off. It looks like you skiped a cut or rotated the cuts improperly.

Last edited:

navycop

Mike

Something looks odd. Not sure what you mean about leaving 1/8" material at the top of each cut. Is this suppose to be a multicut knot?? No. In other words 2 knots together??? Did you follow the instructions in the library??? What did you cut with (tablesaw and thin kerf blade) and did you use the cut all the way through method No. or did you leave material (left 1/8" material) and just fill the void??? Did the fill material match you saw kerf exactly??? I made a test cut and filled the kerf with veener until I could not get anymore in. Something is definetly off. It looks like you skiped a cut or rotated the cuts improperly. I marked each side 1,2,3,4 and rotated it after gluing in the fill material and sanding the sides flush.

My answers in purple.

darrin1200

I don't know how you cut the material, did you angle the saw blade or did you angle the piece using a miter gauge or sled.

Either way, I am wondering if you might have accidentally done both. This would result in a compound angle cut. This could really give some odd looking angles.

The difference might have been hardly noticeable in the full blank, especially since you did not cut all the way through. At the smaller slimline diameter the error would have been magnified.

navycop

I don't know how you cut the material, did you angle the saw blade or did you angle the piece using a miter gauge or sled.

Either way, I am wondering if you might have accidentally done both. This would result in a compound angle cut. This could really give some odd looking angles.

The difference might have been hardly noticeable in the full blank, especially since you did not cut all the way through. At the smaller slimline diameter the error would have been magnified.

The blade was 90 degrees to the table and sled. I used a board at 60 degrees to the blade. Clamped the blank and stop to this board. Could the angle of the cut be the problem? I used a Delta tablesaw (one in picture is not mine but it is exactly like that) and a thin kerf blade I got from PTownsubbie (Fred).

Attachments

• my saw.jpg
    my saw.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

jttheclockman

Mike can you show both sides of the knot???

It is strange because the red pen I am showing is on a Sierra while the Yellow one is on a Sierra Vista. Now my sierra is pretty close to the same diameter as your oversized barrel on the slimline. Mine is cut at 60 degrees also which means this should have enlongated it as where yours looks crunched and this leaves me to believe you did not use 60 degrees and may have used 30 degrees. Did you use a 30/60 degree triangle to set your fence??? Just thinking out loud. Here is what the blank should have looked like when cut. Forget the different colors.

Did yours look like this before you turned it down???

penXblanks-1.jpg

reheartsierra-1.jpg

yellowheartsierra-1.jpg

-animated-pen-knot-good-file.gif

allisnut

Not sure exactly what went wrong with Mike's knot, but I agree with the 30 degree angle instead of 60 degree angle.

On another note, looking at John's examples makes me want to never show anyone my best ever knot again.

jttheclockman

Not sure exactly what went wrong with Mike's knot, but I agree with the 30 degree angle instead of 60 degree angle.

On another note, looking at John's examples makes me want to never show anyone my best ever knot again.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Adam that was not my intention to scare anyone away from these. Mine are done just like others do them. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of Mike's problem.

navycop

You know-you might be right. I used something like this. I could of mistakenly used the 30 degree. Isn't it the same from each end?

Attachments

• carpenter square.jpg
    carpenter square.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

jttheclockman

You know-you might be right. I used something like this. I could of mistakenly used the 30 degree. Isn't it the same from each end?

That is a 45 degrees triangle. A 30/60 is not the same on both ends. Basic math here. :biggrin: Don't mean anything by this:) Identifying the 30 – 60 – 90 Degree Triangle - For Dummies

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/identifying-the-45-45-90-degree-triangle.html

Last edited:

navycop

I think what happened was-I had the edge against my board and I marked at the 60 degree mark which as acually the 30 degree mark because I had it flipped. Instead of marking from the ZERO end I mark from the 80 degree end which in turn gave me 30 degrees.. Thanks allisnut for pointing that out....

Last edited:
Top Bottom