NOT showing off...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

This was a total train wreck...

I was trying out different tools to see what works better on acrylic blanks... seems like all the tools "work" but I was experimenting to see what worked faster, with less acrylic kaka wrapping around the mandrel, finish smoothness... yadda yadda yadda....

With a 3/8" spindle gouge with a regular grind in hand I applied the tool and the %$#*&% dug in and went right to the brass tube...

Oh good!!

So I parted the bad section off, and dug around in my cast offs to find something to patch it with... and, well, you can see...

I think maybe a contrasting band might be ok... but not this combo...

Anyhoo, this is my "new" photo set up... lights at different locations, camera farther back and used the zoom, new fluorescent bulbs... oh yeah, and new rocks holding the pen :)

So, wasn't a total loss I reckin... learned a bunch! :D

AcrylicBanded.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Photo looks kind of washed out...resembles a red X on a white background.

Of course, you fixed it!

Interesting design. Not sure I'm sold on it either, but interesting none the less. I wonder how it would look if the swirls came closer to matching.

arioux

Originally posted by JimGo
[ I wonder how it would look if the swirls came closer to matching.

Intersting idea here. Using a pale wood (maple?) and using a felt pen to continue the swirl line and connecting them? Should give a very weir effect

Alfred

P.S. Nice work on the pen and finish but the fix does'nt do it for me.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />I think the best fix would of been a new set of tubes myself..[;)]

Believe me, I was thinking the same thing... but I also wanted to learn a little, and this thing was sitting on the lathe... so I just decided to learn as much as possible ...

I learned a lot to be honest... but now, if this happens again, I will just bail on it and get some new tubes and start over... [:D]

Firefyter-emt

However, if it makes you feel better I have a nice acrylic blank in my office here that has just one side end milled. I blew the blank apart on the other side!! I never even got the the second blank. This was on a Churchill too! [V]

jedgerton

I always keep some extra tubes around for just such an occasion! If you learned something, I'm sure it was well worth the trouble.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom