Not the same old long click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from panamag8or

panamag8or

So, while I was turning a long click, I was working back from the tip bushing, and had an idea. Instead of turning the same old straight profile that I see all over, I kept the taper, and gradually narrowed toward the cap. I was nervous that the angle wouldn't match the tip, but when I pressed it, choirs of angels sang as it fit perfectly.

The blank is another of my girlfriend's creations. She didn't know if it would turn out okay, and when it did, she named it "Serendipity". Pinks, oranges and reds in the blank, even though the pics don't show it too well.

1_serendipity_long_click.jpg

1_serendipity_long_click_detail.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kirk Dietrich

Beautiful pen Panama. So, I'm guessing your girlfriend makes plastic casts blanks? or did she just guide you with the colors and you made the casting? I'm new to this pen making and just started making the twist pens out of wood; forgive me for the probably dumb questions.

Kirk

panamag8or

Beautiful pen Panama. So, I'm guessing your girlfriend makes plastic casts blanks? or did she just guide you with the colors and you made the casting? I'm new to this pen making and just started making the twist pens out of wood; forgive me for the probably dumb questions.

Kirk

Thanks!
She casts the blanks, I'm just lucky to have such great material to turn when she's done.

BSea

I really like the shape. And I agree, that the straight barrel is a little boring on these pens. The thing is, the long clicker is almost as versatile as the slimline when it comes to modifying the shape.

Some other things to try:
A fake centerband.
Eurostyle upper barrel.
Use a cigar nib. You'll have to adjust the length

Your girlfriend has a good eye for mixing blanks. I really like it. Kinda looks like a wood burl.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Excellent job -- on both the pen and the blank. I always look for a way to be diff'rent from what is expected. It makes life all that more interesting.

Top Bottom