NOT FOR SALE.. at any price

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Eagle recently made a post in the $250 pen thread about hoping to create a pen that he would not sell at any price.. something that was so special to him that it was beyond value....
Well I was lucky enough to make what I hope will my first one.
Total outlay on my part about $7.00 for kit and finishing supplies.. time spent making it about 1 hour. Wood was a nice piece of cocobolo finished with CA polished to a high gloss.. here it is...
CSU 10K Fountain Pen
20056120622_10KFP.jpg

What makes this so spectacular that I would not sell it at any price...
My daughter asked me to teach her to use a fountain pen.
My daughter (you may have heard me mention her in the past ;)) was watching me write a letter to a friend with my Baron.. she asked what kind of pen I was using.. I explained about fountain pens to her..
"Daddy, can you teach me to use one like that??".. "Well, of course dear"... Needless to say I was not going to make her a Baron for her first FP and I was not going to go out and buy some piece of garbage either... I remembered I had a couple of these kits around.. so off to the shop we went. She picked the wood she liked (She loves cocobolo, the kid has good taste. Must get it from her mother).. and Daddy made a pen... tuned the nib on some brown paper bag and put in a Private Reserve ink cartridge and off we went. She took to it like a duck to water.. understood that you don't have to press hard like a ballpoint.. UH.... IS DADDY PROUD???.. YUP
This kit writes a lot nicer than I expected for so inexpensive a pen.. The nib is a bit firmer than I would like, but perfect for someone her age just learning to use one... and if she screws it up, I am not out big bucks... LOL
Oh, BTW. Have I mentioned that I have a daughter that loves my pens [:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

green-eyes

Priceless, just priceless. Our kids are such a joy (when they aren't fighting with each other). Thanks for the smile Griz, I could tell how proud you were just by your typing!!! She sounds like a great kid, good job!!! The pen is nice too!

Becky

Tom,
What a good story, how could you not be proud! Very nice pen, it looks like a CSUSA executive, but I haven't seen it made as a FP before. HMMM, future project for me, perhaps.
If my daughters asked for any pen i have, I couldn't say no. They have their faves, thank goodness they dont ask for all of them.

Skordog

Griz, there isn't enough money in the world to buy a pen like that at any store. That's definitely the cool thing about this hobby...giving gifts that you have made personally are truly special. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

bigvoots44

nice griz. It is not the monetary value we put on something that makes it dear,priceless etc. A 1 dollar pen can be priceless but at the some time a 1000 dollar pen can be worth a dollar. If you have lots of sentimental reasons for the value of the pen money can never buy it. By the way, I watch your postings and I feel you make a lot of 250 pens. You just may not be getting the money for them.

WoodChucker

Tom, I don't have to tell you how lucky you are because I have no doubt you already know! Those magic moments your spending with your daughter now will be memories that last a lifetime and bring a smile to your face and maybe even a tear to your eye when you think back too them. You have a beautiful little girl and it's so nice to see the special bond that the two of you share. Congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing another magic moment! Beautiful pen too! [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom