not quite wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Here's one of my ballpoint pens, trying different shapes.

Image Insert:
2004101621515_Whteuro.jpg

28.27KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vern

Thanks guys,

The pen's a Brea/Woodcraft Euro Satin Nickel Ballpoint with a Craft Supplies white/black swirl celluloid blank. The celluloid is very different to turn... smells like the dentist's office and really lets you know when the tooling is not at it's sharpest. Didn't have alot of trouble turning the stuff although on the first attempt (scrap) I kinda got a bit of meltage from being too agressive w/ the inital sanding... oops

Vern

wayneis

Vern is the celluloid different from yurning acrylic? I've done quite a bit of acrylic and tru-stone and I have some celluloid waiting for me to get to it.

Wayne

Vern

Wayne, I'm not really qualified to answer that question! But from what I've read my understanding is that it's all based on the same acrylic stuff other than the bowling ball material that isn't so sensitve to heat. Please someone that knows for sure chime in!!

Vern

jwoodwright

I've turned a lot of Celluoid from Craft Supplies. Sharp is best. Wet sanding and polish. I learned not to be agressive or even assertive...[:D] When you get the "cut" correct it pours off in one long string after another.[8D]

Fred in NC

That is a beautiful pen, Vern !

Much as I like wood, I have to confess that I have made some acrylic pens. I don't have a single one left, each one sold right away. One thing I found is that pens that look like the Parker Duofold (?) sell very well. They are reminiscent of the celluloid pens of 50 yrs. ago which are collector's items.

jkirkb94

I just finished a similar pencil tonight. I have done several of the Craft Supply celluloids. A good painting respirator makes doing one in a closed shop a lot easier. Today was beautiful so I left the doors open on the shop. I agree that sharp tools are a must and not too aggressive cuts. I've found Tru Stone to be less forgiving. Kirk[8D]

Scott

The Celluloids from Craft Supplies are some of my favorite materials. I think the texture is just a notch better than the standard acrylics. And it feels so nice in the hand - a warmer feel. Getting it too hot while sanding is a problem. Nice stuff!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom