Not a pen turning virgin anymore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marnat3

Marnat3

Just turned my first pen.
Pretty proud, and realized and learned a few things too.
1) I am going to do alot more of this
2) This is a great site for all the info I needed and the inspiration for more.
Thank you.
Here is my first pen a Wall Street 11 ,Brown heart with chrome. first pen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Very nice grain on the pen!! Keep this one and look back in a year to see how much you have learned, and how much you have progressed. Only suggestion I would have, would be to look in the library for articles on how to light your subject better. Oh, by the way, does the tital mean your turned your first pen, or did you get lucky over the weekend ??? Jim S

Last edited:

hard hat

good job, quite rewarding isn't it?

as said before, keep that pen and look back at it to see where youve come from

Marnat3

Thanks everyone!! I am really looking forward to many more projects. And its nice to be here to learn from you. I lurked for a little bit and feel pretty good about IAP and the members here.
The finish is my first attempt at Med CA. I learned not to use a cloth as a replacement for paper towels. Sanded a bunch down to 600, then just kept polishing. No wax or paste.

TwoCatsPens

I have the first one I did several years ago. It was a sierra also, did it at the Woodcraft class. You'll never forget your first. Welcome to the insanity.

Steve

Marnat3

This is a lot less ex-pen-sive than my last hobby, Cars! and takes a whole lot less room.
I truly hope its incurable. I am enjoying it. I have rearranged the shop 3xs now trying to make it flow better.

Marko50

Sweet pen Mark! Watch out though, this will become an addiction! You'll find yourself ferreting away money to buy more pen kits, your wife/partner will start to wonder where all the money is disappearing to. You'll find yourself justifying why you stay up at all hours of the night to turn "just one more pen". You then will know you're fully addicted when you purchase a pressure pot and start casting your own blanks by the hundreds. There's no turning back now! There is no cure…..ahhhhhhhhhh!

Marnat3

I thought I was only one ferreting money away. And I find myself looking at things made of wood thinking that would make a nice pen, bottle topper or what ever. Now a guy at work is trading me some old Black Walnut flooring planks for a couple of pens.

Top Bottom