Not a pen,,,, but 2 in a row for me... YAHOOOO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is a little cherry bowl I was working on... 7x2.75"... this is only the second bowl I have turned that stayed together...
The rim treatment is crushed malachite stone... a lot harder to work than the crushed coral was... it actually grooved the shaper I was using... tough stuff.. instead of being recessed into the rim it is slightly raised... actually looks pretty good....
The stone in the body is there to fix a really bad pitch pocket that I ended up removing with my Dremel tool....
The finish is not as good as I wanted, but the shape is nice and I am satisfied with my second bowl... Some good wax and a buffing should take care of the outside.... for some reason it came out duller than I thought it was on the lathe...
2004123019954_CherryMalachite.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

VERY nice Tom, I've done a couple bowls and I bought a new Axeminster chuck so I'm hoping it will be even easier now. I really like the addition of the stone, it really adds a lot. I've been saving up some big blocks of special woods and am just trying to get up the nerve to turn them, if you know what I mean.

Wayne

mike_l

Good looking bowl. I was thinking of doing something along those lines as well. I've made a few simple bowls, but now it is time to get creative. You've inspired me.

Mike L

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking bowls, Tom.

That one was one of the first things my wife requested when I started learning to turn....bowls..
making pens are fun, but guess who gets a bowl when she wants it[:)]

JohnPayton

PenWorks

Your getting real good at these bowls Tom, All I do is look at my bowl blanks, waiting for them to turn into one! So this is a double, I guess your next one will make it a turkey. Anthony

Gregory Huey

Dog gone it Tom I have been skirting this bowl thing for a couple years. Now I am going to have to go out and buy a bigger lathe and start making them soup holders. On the good side if it's as much fun as pens I should be twice as happy.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Greg... you don't need a big lathe to turn bowls... if you have a Jet Mini or a Delta Midi, you can do bowls up to about 9.5" diameter all day long.. the 1/2HP motor will have to work a bit, so make sure all your tools are scary sharp and just take lighter cuts.. actually taking lighter cuts will give you more accuracy in the beginning anyway...
And if you are new to bowl turning, I definately recommend this new DVD.. http://www.wonderfulwood.com/dvd.html .. I tool a bowl turning class with Bill Grumbine last April and it was the best day of turning I can remember.. he is extremely knowledgable and funny... his sense of humor makes this a fantastic learning tool.. it is also one of the longest turning DVDs I have ever seen.. over 2 hours of instruction for only $29.95... you can't go wrong...
I do not work for Bill or get anything for touting his DVD... But if you can't take a one on one class with him this is the second best thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom