Not mine, but...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cleanslate

cleanslate

008-4.jpg

This is the pen that my 9 year old son turned today. It is a lignum vitae/cherry satin gold slimline. This is the first time that my son has ever used any kind of woodworking machinery, so to say that I am extremely proud of how this project turned out would be the understatement of the century. Now I will be the first to admit that my son has a lot of quit in him, gives up on things way too quickly when faced with a little bit of adversity. He split out three different pieces of wood, and even split out the piece of cherry that ended up on the pen(it wasn't split out too bad, so I was able to shorten it up a bit for him), All without giving up on this project. He is going to give it to his teacher tomorrow and wants to make one for his mother when I see him next in two weeks. He was a little bit intimidated and aprehensive about using my lathe and the tools at first, but by the time he was finished he looked almost like he knew exactly what he was doing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

You can be very proud of your son. He stuck with it to the end and made a great looking first pen!
Let him know how proud you are, and that I'm proud of him, too.

He really did well.

Akula

Very cool!

This is what it's all about, not the money, not how someone has spent many years wood working and can get a nice finish. It's not the photo skills. It's spending time with someone you love doing something you enjoy. Then knowing he wants to give it away to someone he feels is important. Priceless!

Lenny

THAT is a very nice first pen!

You have formed a bond today that will carry on throughout his lifetime! That is PRICELESS!

SDB777

Nine years old, wasn't in front of an xBox, PlayStation, or whatever and made something to be proud of!!!!

Bet it isn't for sale!!!!!

Scott (you'll keep it forever) B

cleanslate

Thanks y'all. I'm begining to know how my mother feels when I show her something that I just turned & seeing how proud she is of her son's work. I can't find the words to express how proud of my son I am, & he knows that.

paps

Nice to see a youngster using his hands for something other than texting! I'd be proud too!

corian king

You have a right to be proud and brag about him a little.Really nice to see the young ones get interested in something besides TV. You know you are a better man than me I would have wanted to keep that pen and build a nice display box for it.
Tell him to keep up the good work!!
JIM

JeffT

Great job and great experience to share...

I'm just happy that my step-daughter has asked me to make a pen for her...

JeffT

ghostrider

For a nine-year-old boy (let alone anyone) with ".. a lot of quit in him...", he did a impressive job with a wood that intimidates a lot of people. This is especially true for his first.

You have every right to be proud, and make sure he hears about the praises from this forum.

LeeR

Your son also did something very admirable -- planning to give it to a teacher. Most kids his age would certainly want to keep it. Good for him!

wizard

Like Lenny said.. You formed a priceless bond..and you deserve to be extremely proud of him!!!!! You are a great teacher who encouraged patience and perseverance, traits that will last a lifetime. GREAT DAD!!!

azamiryou

My reaction before I read your text: "What a nice, clean, professional-looking slimline." No wasp-waist, clean lines, great combo of wood and plating, a beautiful pen.

And it was a first pen by a nine-year-old who's going to give it to his teacher?! That's just plain awesome!

TerryDowning

This experience should take some of the quit out of him. He persisted and now has tangible results for his efforts.

As one who was taught by his father I can tell you that he will keep these experiences for the rest of his life. Take the time with him to teach the fundamentals of wood working. Sharpening tools, planning and preparation, problem solving, fractional math, etc.

Woodworking is one of the best Father/Son activities there are because it never ends. My dad passed away 3 years ago and I have and use many of his tools. He is part of every project I do. Cherish this time and use it to help your son become a fine young man with a sense of purpose, skill, and pride.

Good job Dad! and congratulations to your son on a very fine first pen. I'd love to see the look on his teacher's face when she learns that he made this.

cleanslate

Thanks to all for all of the praises. Some of you brought up some very good points that I never even thought of. Such as SDB777's comment about not being in front of a video gaming system, and paps' comment about using his finngers for something other than texting. I honestly never saw it from that point of view, but you guys are right, thank you. And I am going to be sure to call him this week and let him know how much praise he has recieved from the folks on this forum as well as to let him know how proud of him I am. I honestly have to say that the reason that I am proud of him is not for the the way that the pen turned out, but rather the way that he had faced some adversity and just kept pressing through and perservering to the end, no matter what the pen looks like. That is so much not like my son. Thanks again for all of the compliments from Both myself and my son.

Top Bottom