Not kit-less, maybe kit-little?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stoneman

stoneman

Got to fooling around today and wondered if I could make the lower barrel of an antler pen totally out of antler, you know, no nib? Since I have a closed end mandrel I got from Bill at A.S. a while back, I decided to give it a whirl.

Both barrels are deer antler tines turned on a 7mm closed end mandrel. Then the lower barrel was drilled out like a cartridge pen bullet (al la Rick's tutorial on bullet pens in the library). Added a slimline transmission & refill and a confort pen chrome centerband I had laying around to complete it all.

The two antler tines turned out to be different shades and next time I may use a custom wood centerband, but I was happy with the result for a first try.

Comments welcome as always.

Attachments

• Kitlittle Deer Anter.JPG
    Kitlittle Deer Anter.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Great job Steve, I for one think the center-band chosen works better than one from wood. I think it would be too much "natural material" and would distract from the antler. I also think the chrome is a prefect choice all the way around. Looks great!

jkeithrussell

Looks really nice. Any concern about the nib portion breaking under the stress of the ballpoint pressing against the sides?

stoneman

Keith,
Good question. I purposely flared the nib end wide, but only time will tell. I've decided to use this pen myself at home to see how it holds up.

J

jackrichington

good first try..be careful..don't fall on your pen! (like falling on your own sword?)

Top Bottom