Not a Good photo....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Smitty37

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
000_0363.jpgThis is a standard Le Roi in a pretty nice quilted maple bland that for some reason didn't photo well
000_0362.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Quilted and curly timbers such as Maple look so darn good on a pen, but taking a good photo of them to show off the really nice figure can be a bit problematic.

Nice work on these pens from your new lathe.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice looking blank and pen. Maybe try no flash and set your ISO as high as it will go and just use the light you have, this may not wash out the light color of the wood.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nice looking blank and pen. Maybe try no flash and set your ISO as high as it will go and just use the light you have, this may not wash out the light color of the wood.
I did that with the photos I removed but I must have to play with the camera...I need to dig out the book because I'm far from knowledgeable on photography.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Mike Powell

BAH, I say except for the little bit of dust on the stand it looks fine.

Ok, maybe just a tad out of focus. but what do I know? I cant see anything anymore with these eyes...

toddlajoie

One thing to keep in mind, especially when dealing with what I assume is a point and shoot camera, is that the computer in the camera cannot tell what is being photographed, and so it uses the whole scene when it adjusts the photo. The programming is skewed toward snapshot style landscapes and portraits, so your background is going to cause it to scratch it's head and take a guess. If you fill the frame with a neutral, relatively consistent background, you will likely get some better results. It may help the camera figure out what you want in focus also... Shutting off the flash and using some diffused lighting instead (or any light that doesn't come from directly where the camera is) will also help.

Last edited:

Marko50

Still a nice pen Leroy! If you're shooting with an DSLR camera, use your white balance function and a gray card. Set your F-stop to 9, your shutter speed to around 120 when you do that, then set the shutter one speed slower when you take the photo you're going to post. …at least that works for me.

StuartCovey

That's what I was thinking too. I've had to do that a couple of times when photoing light woods.

Top Bottom