Not for the faint of heart, lots of pictures!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

About a week ago I received an E-mail from Martin Beauford (mhbeauford) asking if I would like to turn a blank that he made and maybe consider marketing them. Never since Eagle have I had my hiney pucker when turning a blank:wink:.
Click photos for larger view​

IMG_3480.jpg

These are not for the novice, beginner, or faint of heart but for the person who is looking for a challenge and a higher end pen.
Steps must be followed to achieve a final product. I recommend drilling on the lathe sloooooow, do not get the blank hot no more than .25 at a time and clean out the flues after drilling, drizzle CA into the hole and let sit overnight, now re drill to clean out excess CA. Mill on your sander NOT with a pen mill!
IMG_3483.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg

Use as light a touch as possible and have a scary sharp skew, or tool of your choice. You might even want to use your 100 grit skew:wink: to take down to almost finished diameter.

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489-001.jpg

Martin used card stock as inlay material and the white is styrene, all inlays are .25 deep leaving a .25 solid core, the base wood is hard maple​

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

Don't know what to say other than I am super impressed. How do you make a blank like that without going crazy; well, more crazy in my case.

Jjartwood

Well,?
Who do I see to get one?
You can't just throw something like that out and not have a plan.
FEED ME !!!!!
Beautiful Roy Beautiful

Jim Burr

Banned
Interested!!!??? Talk to papa and wrap it up!
One stupid reason to have a Jet 1642 is drilliing at 100 rpm...and liking it!
Get the party started and let's sell some blanks!

wiset1

I'll take 5 of them. Not sure I'll get around to turning anything till 2013, but it would be amazing to have a couple of these in my inventory.

Alzey

Beautiful blank and great looking pen.

I even learned something: Never thought to use CA inside a segmented pen. Going to try that on my next one.

OKLAHOMAN

Well,?
Who do I see to get one?
You can't just throw something like that out and not have a plan.
FEED ME !!!!!
Beautiful Roy Beautiful

Mark, we now have a plan and hopefully will have some food for you in a few weeks, patience, patience:biggrin:.

Interested!!!??? Talk to papa and wrap it up!
One stupid reason to have a Jet 1642 is drilliing at 100 rpm...and liking it!
Get the party started and let's sell some blanks!

Jim, the party should start in a few weeks:wink:!

Gary Beasley

Beautiful blank and great looking pen.

I even learned something: Never thought to use CA inside a segmented pen. Going to try that on my next one.

I've found that good for my Celtic knots and when doing soft absorbent type materials like pinecone. It makes bonding to the tube much better as it's not wicking the stuff away from the metal in this case.

mhbeauford

Eagle would be pleased. Except he'd complain it was done using a CNC :biggrin:

Lovely blanks.

Well, maybe so but still, it is a heck of a good job and many of the steps are hand work so, do doubt, a very impressive and smart design/work...!

Cheers
George

The CNC makes it a lot faster, you can do it with a router and templates, it just takes a lot longer!!!! I can do the layouts on my CAD software in a few minutes, or modify an existing design. All the inlay is still done by hand. The CNC just cuts the slots and makes it easy to cut curvy slots.

Top Bottom