Not Exactly what I was going for

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Well I had a concept in my mind. Kinda an Art Deco thing. I got these cool clips from Elliot so I wanted to put them on an equally cool pen. Learned some stuff. Main wood is Ambonya Burl. The stripe in the middle of the lower barrel the bottom is ground up tru-stone shavings, and the top is 10 layers of veneer (when I do this again, there will be more contrast between the 2 parts). The "cap" is black acrylic and pepsi can scallops and the finial is from a Euro. Oh the rest of the parts are from a slim line (tubes, transmission, nib). Next go round may have a custom finial and home made nib. Anyways, comments welcome.

contestslim2.jpg

contestslimback.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Looks really cool to me as I sit here imagining the ugly turquoise doesn't exist. Without that you have a really great western looking pen. Reminds me of a beautiful arrow that someone dunked in pool cue powder:biggrin: Those scallops really set the pen too. I like it...but did I mention the Turquoise Hans???

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think you did a great job with it Hans. I agree about the need for more contrast, but I think it was a wonderful 1st attempt.

kirkfranks

Cool concept. Also love the clip and the scallops.
Ideas for #2:
*No Turquoise on the nib end.
*For where you have the veneer go all the way to the bottom but use something like the Indian Blanket technique for a pattern.

hewunch

OK, confession time. The crushed tru-stone is mostly the turquoise one. AND, while I laid out my piece well (I thought) it really covers an oops. And because I used the turquoise for the crushed part, I figured the original would look good with it. I get it bad choice of oops band. :redface:

broitblat

I like all the elements, but they don't quite work well together for me. Somehow, it just seems a little out of balance. I think there are some great ideas there, however, and look forward to the next iteration.

-Barry

Ligget

Good work Hans, experimenting with different ideas is the way to go, opens up your creative side, and then we`ll steal all your ideas when you post them here! LOL

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great concept Hans . You've already made the changes in your plans for the next one , so I'll leave it at that , and anxiously wait for the next one . Nice work .

Top Bottom