Not EPR...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Turned so much resin and acrylics recently that I needed to remind myself how to turn wood:

These slimlines, from left to right are: Sheaoak, Carob, crosscut Rosewood and Cocobolo...
pen131a.jpg

And these cigars are all stabilized and dyed Box Elder burls and Curly Poplar...
6a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

Nice look, as usual. Seems to me your last post was clay (wet dirt, of sorts)-is there anything you don't turn into a fine writing instrument??

Hopefully you realize this is meant as a compliment.[:)]

YoYoSpin

Thanks everyone. The beads are done with the point of a sharp skew. Just insert the skew's point into your tuning at a 90-degree angle...on a flat plain, parallel with the floor. Then do a light round over of the sharp edges, again with the skew.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodwish
<br />Very nice! I'm not a big fan of plastic so it's good to see some nice wood ones. [8D] The rosewood is especially nice.
With a handle like that who wood have guessed?
Greeat job Ed, couldn't pick out the nicest of the bunch if a gun was put to my head(Though I bet there would be a lot of volunteers)
icon_nworthy.gif

YoYoSpin

Let’s see if I can answer some of these questions:

The Curly Poplar is form Arizona Silhouette as well as the stabilized BEB’s

Yes, the Carob blank (my favorite out of this batch) was cut on a bias…it was a freebee that came in with one of my AS orders

The finish process on all of these wood pens was: dry sand to 400 grit, apply one coat of sanding sealer, Beall buff with the Tripoli and White Diamond wheels, apply a coat of Renaissance Wax, wait 30-45 seconds and buff with the third (clean…no Carnauba wax) Beall wheel, wait 15 minutes and apply a second coat or Rwax, wait another 30-45 seconds and then a final Beall buff using the third wheel. BTW, while I'm waiting for the first RWax coat to set, I've got just enough time to turn and finish another pen on a second mandrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom