This is not Dragon Hide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SkewedUp

SkewedUp

I thought I was going to be trying to make a dragon hide pen, but this is how it turned out. Not what I was expecting, but pretty interesting.

<Edit: Sorry, changed how the picture was inserted to get a better pic>

200862361232_PineCone10.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SkewedUp

Thanks Joe. I really appreciate that.

Dave, Cav pointed you in the right direction. Karl's Dragon hide blanks really caught my eye. Then I (almost literally) stumbled onto a couple of unopened Pine cones that looked like they might be able to hold up to being drilled and turned without being stabilized, so I decided to try them out. I just kept soaking the blanks in thin CA as I was turning them and they held together pretty well.

The Pine nuts that were still in the unopened cone are what makes the interesting patterns - the ones that pull out from cutting the blanks or while being turned I filled with thick CA and are dark colored, the ones that manage to remain in place are the light colored ones.

Not what I was expecting at all, but pretty unique.

ahoiberg

if such a thing as dragon hide existed, i think that would definitely look similar to it. that's one of the coolest pine cone pens i've seen. nice work.

bitshird

Doug, that is a great looking pen, would I be wrong if I guessed it was from a Pinion Pine tree? Now I know what to do with all the pine cones in my yard :( except they are from a hybrid pine tree, still might try one. :D:D

SkewedUp

That would be a good guess Ken - that is a native tree here, but these were from a kind of Pine that I don't know for sure but they don't produce the Pinion nut. I walk by them every day at work.

The thing about them that caught my attention was that there were some cones that seemed very dry, but not opened. I don't think I have ever noticed any like that before, but it made me think that they were good possibilities for turning a pen from.

SkewedUp

Thanks Andrew! Leave it to a secret agent to find me here! :D I've been a long time lurker here, and still not confident enough in my pens to post much, but I really do like the resources available here. I've seen a couple of other familiar faces here too ;)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Doug,

I'm sorry. When I searched out the link for Dave, I forgot to comment on your pen. It is truly unique, and should command top dollar if you can bring yourself to part with it!

SkewedUp

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

:) The only other person from woodworking.com I've noticed is Carl...although Cody mentioned he lurked here too...

And trust me, your pens are superb!

Thanks for that Andrew, but I have a long ways to go yet :) And have you not noticed Marc here as well???? ;) I don't think that anyone who turns pens and knows about IAP could possibly resist at least visiting here frequently.

SkewedUp

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Doug,

I'm sorry. When I searched out the link for Dave, I forgot to comment on your pen. It is truly unique, and should command top dollar if you can bring yourself to part with it!

Thanks Cav, I think I'll keep this one :)

SkewedUp

Thanks Karl! Your Dragonhide blanks were my inspiration. I did not get anything close to yours, but I was not unhappy with the un-intended results of my attempt. I still want to make somthing like that, so if you ever make up another batch of your Dragonhide blanks, please let me know.

Top Bottom