Not beautiful, but my first good pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Moose22

Moose22

This is actually my third scratch built pen, but the others are kind of a charlie foxtrot as they were not designed so much as cobbled together from scraps of acrylic so I could practice techniques and build tools. I just got a lathe three months ago, so I've had a lot to learn.

Needless to say, one and two are really ugly mutts, but I'm proud of this one.

Any advice on how to polish the threads on the section without polishing them down so the cap threads won't bite would be appreciated. I just do NOT know how to make them adequately shiny! I love the feel of ebonite, but working it is... interesting.

CopperLight_05.JPG

CopperLight_02.JPG

CopperLight_04.JPG

CopperLight_07.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

2 things might help with your threads. Well, 3 if you add Mike's suggestion. Polish the area before you cut the threads, and get an ultrasonic cleaner. Your wife/girlfriend will use it more than you do to clean her jewelry.:rolleyes:

Great start on going custom. It's a little intimidating at 1st. OK, maybe more than at 1st. I seem to make parts for 2 pens every time I do a kitless pen. But for some reason, I only end up with 1 pen . . . . . If I'm lucky.

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

I think it is awesome. I hope my 20th kitless comes out that good. I have been afraid to even try and I had my lathe for going on 3 years.

Congrats on your first post. I am sure more people will chime in to answer any and all your questions this is a great site of information and helpful people.

Moose22

Thanks for the ideas.

I did use lube -- Pam, actually -- when cutting the threads. And I polished it quickly before threading, too, but still I get slightly rough at the bottom of some threads.

I might try the ultrasonic thing. There's a cheap one at the Harbor Freight that might work.

And third pen might be a misnomer. Third successful pen... I've destroyed three or four barrels and had a dozen abortive attempts at making a section where I didn't plan well, or just screwed up and cracked the thing. And I have one cap, body, and section where everything is oversized that I use to test-fit as I go.

I am only slowly getting better at the machining, but as I understand the issues and make tools to solve them things are coming together. For example, I made a new die holder yesterday afternoon that is really deep and chucks into the tailstock so I can cut those 12mm threads more evenly, as the hand-held die method is troublesome. Having read things here, a lot, has done wonders. It seems like I constantly get to a point where I can't finish some part and think "So THAT is why he made that mandrel! Now I get it."

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might try an abrasive like toothpaste or pumice or white diamond and a tooth brush to polish the bottoms of the thread. If you have Dremel or Foredom etc. you can use a small rotary brush.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Also i dont believe the usltrasonic will help polish the threads, it will clean them which may make them look better if part of your problem is compacted crap in the bottom of the thread.

OZturner

Congratulations, on a fine Pen.
Your Profile, Proportions and Lines are Great.
The technical difficulties will be shortly be overcome, with your perseverance.
Third Pen, Incredible.
Brian.

Moose22

it will clean them which may make them look better if part of your problem is compacted crap in the bottom of the thread.

I realize this, thanks. I think it might be part of the problem as I tried polishing on a buffer wheel and got stuff in there... maybe toothbrushing will help some. I'm also using a crappy harbor freight buff, so it mostly throws threads everywhere...

We'll see if the brushing works first.

Moose22

The blank is great. I did a kit pen with one and bought more. It was a Rhino Blank called Copper Lightning.

Ogg

I honestly believe that we are our own worst critic's. That pen looks fantastic!

I know that I'm very critical of my own work....probably much more so then others viewing my work....Of course I was the one making it and know each of the flaws in it regardless if anyone else can see them.

Anyway I think the pen looks great!!!

Dalepenkala

I honestly believe that we are our own worst critic's. That pen looks fantastic!

I know that I'm very critical of my own work....probably much more so then others viewing my work....Of course I was the one making it and know each of the flaws in it regardless if anyone else can see them.

Anyway I think the pen looks great!!!

I think its a great looking pen too! I love the color and detail within the material. Job well done!

Top Bottom